This listing has expired.
FSU Panama City’s Sponsored Programs Department invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Estuary Program Scientist. The Scientist will assist with effective management for the St. Andrew/St. Joseph Bays Estuary Program (SASJBEP) by providing professional scientific research and coordination services to the Estuary Program for monitoring, resource investigation, evaluation, and planning in support of the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP).
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
- Oversee research, restoration and monitoring projects throughout the watershed and coordinate with partners on these activities.
- Work with the Estuary Director and Advisory Committees to develop the initial Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP).
- Work as part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Modeling (STEM) Advisory Committee to identify and create realistic ecosystem indicators and develop research agendas to further the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) goals and actions.
- Work with the STEM Advisory Committee on scientific and monitoring components of projects that align with the CCMP.
- Work with the Estuary Program Director and Technical Program Assistant to develop competitive grant applications focused towards CCMP implementation.
- Coordinate with Estuary Program Director and Technical Program Assistant to manage technical projects and grants that address CCMP actions and goals.
- Participate in St. Andrew and St. Joseph Bays research and restoration efforts that directly address CCMP actions and goals and assist in developing and reporting actionable science and management outcomes from those efforts by working with partner entities.
- Must have advanced GIS capabilities or basic GIS with the willingness to learn and apply more advanced analytic methods.
- Work with Public Outreach Specialist to increase visibility of SASJBEP research and restoration efforts and translate scientific findings into publicly consumable information.
- Develop environmental compliance plans, technical reports, and professional journal articles explaining research and management in the estuary.
- Actively participate in and present at local, regional, state, national and international science and resource management meetings directly related to SASJBEP objectives.
- Participate in appropriate educational opportunities that will enhance capabilities for implementation of the CCMP.
- Stay abreast of research and developments in estuarine science and management and provide technical support as needed to the SASJBEP Director and other staff.
- Participate in regional resource management planning, resilience, adaption, and climate change efforts.
- Participate in local, state, and national land use and environmental policy meetings related to management of St. Andrew and St. Joseph Bays resources.
- Develop open science syntheses, CCMP monitoring and indicator reporting summaries, and other data reduction and reporting protocols to relay progress in achieving CCMP actions and goals, environmental status, trends, and community engagement.
- Develop and maintain open science tools and applications, technical reports, and professional journal articles relevant to research and management activities in the estuary or the broader coastal research and management community.
- Work with Estuary Director and Public Outreach Specialist to manage and curate technical content of the SASJBEP website with regularly updated data that support CCMP monitoring and indicator reporting.
- Develop and maintain open data standards and metadata requirements for all regularly updated data that support CCMP monitoring and indicator reporting, including maintenance of data on federated data repositories to promote openness and data discoverability of SASJBEP products.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in a related science or research services field; or a high school diploma/equivalency and six years of experience in same areas.
(Note: or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to six years at a comparable rate.)
- Experience in designing and leading a research project or program.
- Knowledge of the physical or life science field.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives.
- Knowledge of and the ability to strategically align tasks and people with organizational goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of the principals and practices of project planning, development, and evaluation. .
- A PhD or postgraduate research qualification in Marine Science or relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply related University policies, procedures, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of the concept, principles, and practices of management with experience in applying concepts to research programs.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable computer applications including GIS and statistical packages and basic computer functions.
- Knowledge of public relations practices.
One of the nation’s elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
The anticipated salary for this position is $58,000 – $75,000 commensurate with education and experience.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Soft Money Funded Position
This is a soft money funded position, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.