This listing has expired.
Imagine a Scotland where nature is reawakened. Where a rich tapestry of native woodlands, wetlands, wildflower meadows and grasslands is stitched back together. Where land and seas teem with life. Where people feel connected to the natural world, wherever they live. And where nature-based enterprises support thriving communities far and wide.
This is a joint vision for rewilding of the Scottish Rewilding Alliance and Rewilding Britain.
Rewilding Britain wants to see rewilding flourishing across Britain – reconnecting us with the natural world, sustaining communities and tackling the climate emergency and extinction crisis. As the only national rewilding charity in Britain, we champion rewilding, acting as a catalyst for debate and action and demonstrating the power of nature to address the enormous threats we face.
The Scottish Rewilding Alliance is a collaboration between 25+ like-minded organisations who share a mission to enable rewilding at a scale new to Scotland. Its approach is to embrace working in partnership with landowners, communities, interest groups and government to achieve a shared agenda that shapes the land and sea.
We are seeking an experienced advocacy coordinator to support a vision of Scotland becoming the world’s first Rewilding Nation. This exciting role will support the Scottish Rewilding Alliance, coordinating and implementing its advocacy strategy, while integrating the Scottish perspective into Rewilding Britain’s wider policy and influencing work across Britain.
This post is hosted and line-managed by Rewilding Britain as part of a partnership with the Scottish Rewilding Alliance.
If you think you have the skills, drive and determination to help make that happen, we’d like to hear from you.
Key Role Purpose
To lead on the delivery of a rewilding advocacy strategy for Scotland in partnership with the Scottish Rewilding Alliance as well as bring the Scottish perspective into Rewilding Britain’s wider work to mainstream rewilding into policy and practice across Britain.
What can you bring?
This is an exciting opportunity to really make a difference. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for rewilding and the natural world and is:
- A self-starter with a highly entrepreneurial spirit
- A persuasive communicator who is skilled at influencing decision-makers
- Experienced in, and with an understanding of, current Scottish policy relevant to land and marine rewilding
- A keen understanding of and ability to influence the Scottish parliamentary process.
- Collaborative, adaptable and able to respond quickly to an ever-shifting context.
You will be responsible for:
You will be a member of the Rewilding Britain team working primarily to implement the jointly agreed advocacy strategy of the Scottish Rewilding Alliance. You will:
- Coordinate the planning and delivery of policy and influencing activities in Scotland, primarily through the Scottish Rewilding Alliance (of which Rewilding Britain is a member and on the Management Group)
- Keep up to date with changing policies and legislation in relation to rewilding.
- Develop relevant policy positions and communicate these in order to influence the Scottish policy environment;
- Gather intelligence and research, summarise evidence and communicate learning in order to develop these policy positions
- Build and maintain effective stakeholder relationships, particularly with civil servants, policy makers, national and local decision-makers, and campaigning/landowning/marine bodies.
- Work with members of the Scottish Rewilding Alliance and Rewilding Network members across Scotland to build broad engagement in joint advocacy activities, and back this up with compelling evidence of the benefits of rewilding
- Collate key data and information on Scottish land and marine rewilding initiatives, particularly those linked to the local and national Rewilding Networks.
- Coordinate and support wider Scottish Rewilding Alliance activities as needed, e.g. coordinate regular meetings and facilitate SRA members to further joint objectives.
- Provide political monitoring and intelligence to colleagues across the organisation and Scottish Rewilding Alliance
- Work collaboratively with other organisations, influencers and campaigns.
Skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in policy, public affairs and/or campaigns in a relevant field.
- Demonstrable understanding of the political landscape of the Scotland relevant to rewilding.
- Highly organised with excellent networking skills
- Ability to analyse research and evidence to influence policy
- Persuasive communication skills which influence and motivate
- Ability to work autonomously, showing initiative while building excellent relationships with the wider team
- Experience managing work remotely
- Experience in and understanding of rewilding
- Experience of public speaking
- Experience of dealing with press and other media
- Positive, collaborative attitude.
- Passionate, confident and adaptable.
- Focussed and results driven.
Terms and conditions
This role will be for at least four days (28 hours) a week initially for 12 months at £30,000 to £38,000 pro rata per annum depending on experience.
We are a virtual team who all work from home, which will require a suitable home office working environment and equipment. Some meetings may be held in other parts of the UK.
There will be some freedom for the person to determine their own working arrangements each week, within limitations, providing the work is delivered.
If you have what it takes to help us, please send your CV as well as a one page summary on ‘What are the top 5 key policy opportunities for enabling rewilding in Scotland’ to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on April 5th. We aim to hold interviews via Zoom on April 27th.