This listing has expired.
The Navy requires a single SCA Intern to assist Navy Natural Resource Managers (NRMs) with Gopher Tortoise field surveys and habitat management. Specific duties entail:
- Assisting the NRM utilizing approved survey methodology, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and Geographic Information Software (GIS) with field surveys and collection of spatial and temporal distribution data of Threatened and Endangered Species to include: gopher tortoises, reticulated ﬂatwoods salamander, and other commensal species.
- Assisting with management of vegetation in approximately 800-acres of pitcher-plant, longleaf pine, and other threatended and endangered species habitats.
- Assisting with the maintenance and establishment of approximately 6-miles of firebreaks
- Assisting with approximately 2-miles of recreational trail maintenance.
Conditions of Employment
Required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine.
NAS Whiting Field and its Outlying Landing Fields (OLFs) across the Panhandle of Florida and southwestern Alabama.
Training will be offered in the following areas GPS/GIS, Prescribed Fire and Natural Resource Equipment
Hiking, biking, boating, swimming
Main Area of Focus
Education, Training & Skills Expected
- Biology: degree major or professional experienceForestry: some coursework or experienceResource Management: some coursework or experienceGPS: some experienceHand Tools: some experiencePlant Identification: some experienceTrail Maintenance: some experience