The mission of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary is to:
- Operate as a first-of-its-kind veterinary clinic and rehabilitation centre where sick or injured marine animals (dolphins, sea turtles, monk seals), can receive critical clinical care and rehabilitative treatment in a “teaching marine mammal hospital” in a pristine natural location far away from any human impacts.
- Provide a solution-based alternative offering long-term care and refuge for dolphins that are displaced, or at risk from mistreatment or the closure of a marine park.
- Promote biodiversity conservation through innovative habitat enhancement techniques including installation of artificial reefs and experimental replantation of vulnerable seagrass meadows.
- Take a One Ocean and One Health scientific approach using marine mammals as “Sentinels of Ocean and Human Health”.
The AMLS model is a cost-effective, sustainable and innovative solution to a global problem and is both replicable and scalable.
Construction of the Sanctuary began in Vroulia Bay on Lipsi Island in 2016. The aim is for it to be fully operational in 2021.
Interns who join this project will take part in numerous research and communication projects related to the creation of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary, while they are also welcome to take part in the actual construction process if interested!
As this facility is not yet operational as a rehabilitation centre, this internship will not involve animal care but instead will be focusing on the crucial tasks in preparation of its operation.
Thus, the interns would be involved in helping with a variety of activities with a focus on:
- Veterinary and marine mammal research: including assisting the process, preparing the operations and protocols for the operation of the AMLS
- Innovative coastal habitat research in preparation of the operation of the AMLS, including underwater replanting of seagrass meadows, camera-based monitoring of coastal ecosystems, design and installation of artificial reefs, monitoring blue carbon of Posidonia seagrass, how Posidonia may reverse the effects of climate change, and many more.
- PR & Communications:
- Strengthening PR by creating social media content and public awareness campaigns
- Assisting with fundraising efforts by searching for partners/sponsors, applying for grants, and organizing fundraising events
- Creating educational material for the facility