We currently have an exciting position for Animal Care Team Leader of Reptiles and Invertebrates to join our team on a permanent, full-time basis. Reporting to the Animal Care Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the efficient and integrated daily operations of animal husbandry and management of the Zoo’s Reptiles and Invertebrate section. They will also be responsible to our Animal Care Manager for ensuring our Keeping staff are supported and developed. They are responsible for the highest standards of animal husbandry, excellence in animal care and welfare, and providing our visitors with exciting message driven experiences.
What we’re looking for in an applicant:
- A minimum of six years’ experience in animal management, husbandry and working with animals in human care, and a National Certificate in Animal Management – Captive Wild Animals (or equivalent) or University degree in a Zoological related discipline
- Substantial experience providing husbandry care and species management across a variety of reptile and invertebrate species.
- Experience in habitat maintenance and the ability to design, review and develop habitats that maximise the connections with animals for visitors
- Demonstrated experience motivating, coaching and developing staff
- Sound knowledge of the World Zoo and Aquarium (WAZA) Conservation Strategy, WAZA Animal Welfare Strategy and the five domains of animal welfare.
- Effective planning, organising, time management and written and verbal communication skills.
What we’re offering as an employer:
- The opportunity to be part of a passionate and committed team that is dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes.
- An exciting and varied place to work.
- Five days Conservation Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project.
- Sick leave entitlement from the start of employment.
- An extra accrued week of annual leave after 5 years continuous service.
- Yearly allocation of Zoo passes and Zoo Close Encounters that can be shared with family and friends.
- Zoo product discounts.
- The ability to walk around and enjoy the Zoo every day.
- Annual flu vaccinations.