The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II – Wildlife for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species.
Purpose of position:
To provide exceptional care to a wide variety of animals such as: exotic and domestic hoof stock, large carnivores and omnivores, reptiles, and avian species including ostriches and emus.
Daily responsibilities include feeding and cleaning habitats, enclosures, and pastures. Communicating and recording daily observations and associated animal data.
You will be responsible for:
- Preparing and administering proper diets for each species of animal, including grain, hay, fruits, vegetables, raw meat, and insects;
- Performing daily cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures, habitats, stalls, and pastures. This may include mowing, weed eating, scrubbing floors and walls, and disposing of animal waste/compost;
- Ensuring animals are safe, comfortable, and receive the best possible care while complying with non-contact and protected contact policies, PPE requirements, and all safety requirements;
- Designing, building, and implementing enrichment for a wide variety of species;
- Applying operant conditioning and positive reinforcement to prepare animals for anxiety-free sanctuary living and to address specific behavioral needs;
- Accurately and effectively administering treatments and medications, as directed, and communicating with supervisor or DVM;
- Utilizing a variety of therapeutic treatments for individualized animal care;
- Assisting the Veterinary team with animal restraint, transport, medical procedures, and chemical immobilization;
- Responding to detailed instructions during an emergency and handling unpredictable and sometimes dangerous nondomestic animal interactions;
- Cross-training with other departments, Equine or Primate, to ensure proper coverage for care of all animals;
- Providing mentorship and guidance to staff, interns, and volunteers;
- Performing other duties or responsibilites, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in animal care required. Three (3) years of experience preferred;
- Good observational and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- A valid driver’s license is required and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer;
- Proficiency of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and resume together as one document.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.