The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II – Wildlife for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, TX. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species.
Your main responsibility will be to perform daily animal husbandry responsibilities, limited basic medical work, and some administrative duties (recordkeeping). You will also perform day to day responsibilities include feeding, cleaning stalls and pastures, monitoring animal behavior, enclosure maintenance and enrichment activities.
You will be responsible for:
- Cleaning animal stalls, pastures, and animal enclosures;
- Preparing animal diets and performing animal feedings;
- Preparing and implementing behavioral management and enrichment programs for animals including providing toys, objects, and treats;
- Observing and monitoring the health and well-being of animals; periodically checking on animals throughout acreage, hauling food, supplies, etc. in company vehicle;
- Maintaining animal enclosures and pastures and ensuring they are secure and in good working order;
- Providing hands on animal care to include, but not limited to, corralling, shearing, moving, and grooming;
- Providing basic administration of medication and documents as required. Ensures veterinary staff is informed of all medications being administered.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in animal care required. Three (3) years of experience preferred;
- Good observational and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- A valid driver’s license is required and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer;
- Proficiency of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;