Animal Keeper (Great Apes)
Despite the significant challenges that the pandemic has thrown at Twycross Zoo, we are as determined as ever to evolve and progress with our ambitious plans.
Based in the heart of England, we are an award-winning conservation charity and rapidly growing visitor attraction. We’re committed to supporting global welfare and conservation efforts in the captive breeding of endangered species whilst supporting projects from many different countries around the world, including Ape Action Africa, Lola Ya Bonobo and the FFI Cao Vit Gibbon Project.
In 2014, we launched our 20 year, £55million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats which have opened to the public include Giraffe Savannah, Gibbon Forest and a £3.5 million world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and we are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success. We are the only zoo in the UK to accommodate all four Great Apes.
What will this role of Animal Keeper entail?
As an Animal Keeper, you’ll play a key role in caring for our Great Apes, ensuring that animal keeping is carried out to the Zoo’s required standards. Your duties will include but not be limited to:
- Preparing and distributing food and water to animals
- Learning about the animals and reporting any animal health concerns to the Section Head
- Assisting with maintaining enclosures, food preparation and public viewing areas to a high standard of hygiene, cleanliness and exhibition
- Answering enquiries from the public in a helpful and polite manner, whilst working closely with the Visitor Experience Team and delivering animal encounters
- Motivating and encouraging colleagues, assisting with the development of Trainee Keepers and providing guidance to work experience students and apprentices
What will I need to be considered for this Animal Keeper vacancy?
- At least 3 years’ experience of animal keeping, which must have included working with Category 1 animals, along with an appropriate animal related qualification (or willing to work towards)
- Enthusiastic, high performing and motivated with a proven track record in zoo animal management
- Ability to work effectively in a team and without supervision, with a flexible approach to duties and working hours
- A passion for the Zoo’s work and purpose
The ideal candidate will have experience of working with Great Apes, although this is preferable, not essential.
What will I receive in return?
As an Animal Keeper, you’ll receive a competitive salary, along with additional benefits including 31 days holiday per annum inclusive of bank holidays, and a staff membership card giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off and discounts in our retail and food outlets, and free onsite parking.
You’ll be employed on permanent contract, working 43 hours per week on a set 3-week rota. You’ll work 5 days out of 7 between the hours of 8am to 6pm during the summer and 8am to 5pm during the winter months.