We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with demonstrable experience in an academic publishing role. You will have excellent organisational and time management abilities, great attention to detail and interpersonal skills, and be competent in Microsoft IT packages including Microsoft Office. You will assist the BES in publishing one of the Society’s world-renowned journals. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking for an interesting and varied editorial role to be part of an experienced publications team.
About the role:
Based in our office in London and reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor will take overall responsibility for the day-to-day running of the journal but will also work closely with the rest of the publications team.
Core duties will include:
- Managing a timely and fair peer review process for a successful international journal
- Dealing with enquiries from authors, reviewers and editors
- Maintaining accurate records of manuscript progress from submission to final acceptance or rejection
- Contributing ideas for journal development and improvements to processes to Managing Editor and Editors
- Providing regular reports to Editors and Managing Editor from ScholarOne on all aspects of manuscript processing
- Liaising with the publisher’s production department to ensure publication runs smoothly
- Assisting in ongoing journal marketing and promotion via online campaigns, printed publicity and social media channels
- Updating journal web pages to highlight new journal content
- Developing and managing the journal blog in collaboration with the Blog Associate Editor
- Attending the BES annual conference and any other external relevant meetings as required