The role of the Assistant Woodlands Officer will be primarily to support the Woodlands Officer with the development, planning and delivery of the City of Trees woodland creation programme within Greater Manchester. The postholder will occasionally be required to assist with woodland management works as well as directly delivering sessions variously with volunteers/children/stakeholders.
Main duties of the post will include:
- To assist with the planning, designing and overseeing of woodland creation schemes – all in accordance with the UK Forest Standard
- To work with partner organisations, local authorities and a range of businesses and landowners in developing suitable woodland creation schemes
- To assist with the preparation of appropriate regulatory information regarding planting schemes to the Forestry Commission (public register and EIA Enquiry Form)
- To help supervise and instruct contractors on planting works, monitoring standards of work against agreed specifications
- Undertake necessary admin and paperwork associated with contract management (of planting and other related contracts) and monitoring spend/costs within them.
- To lead and supervise a variety of volunteer/community engagement events including woodland planting and management sessions – following good practice and risk assessment results.
- To plan, develop, and deliver both large and small scale environmental and community engagement projects effectively, in line with funders requirements. This includes resource management and budgeting, milestones, risk planning and evaluation.
- To provide information and best forestry practice to the CoT team, local authorities and partner organisations.
- To work in a flexible manner and to undertake any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time, which are commensurate with the grade of the job.
- To undertake informal and formal training as agreed.
- To carry out duties with full regard to Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety policies.
- To travel around Greater Manchester as required.
For an informal chat about the post please contact Andy Long (Woodlands Officer) or Kevin Wigley (Operations Manager) at the City of Trees team offices on 0161 872 1660.
Application is via a completed Community Forest Trust application form.
The deadline for applications is at 4pm on Thursday 11th August 2022.
Interviews will be held at City of Trees office in Salford on 23rd August 2022.