Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International is seeking a research scientist with a recent Ph.D. to assist in research in the theory and practice of Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in an era of rapid climate change.
Identify MPA design structures and management approaches that are explicitly designed to support ocean biodiversity conservation as ecosystems and species move in response to climate change and ocean acidification. Ensure a portfolio of MPAs are prepared for and address the impacts of climate change on biodiversity and human wellbeing, through advising on the design and implementation of those MPAs.
12-month appointment with a strong possibility for renewal.
- The position is based at UCSB in Santa Barbara, California and requires travel when health safety permits.
- Flexibility in work schedule in order to accommodate time differences between CA and other CI regional offices may be necessary.
- Recent doctoral graduate in marine sciences or related field
- A climate-change-related thesis topic and strong publication record
- Experience in using or implementing climate change ocean models or species models
- Background in research relevant to climate change adaptation and vulnerability in marine or (ideally) MPA settings.
- Fluency in at least one language other than English is preferred (Spanish, French, Portuguese) fluency in multiple languages is a strong asset
- Some field experience, either ancillary to Ph.D. or postdoctoral research
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled