This listing has expired.
Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge is in southwest Montana along the Montana-Idaho border in the Centennial Mountain Valley approximately 50 miles west of Yellowstone National Park. The Refuge comprises the largest wetland complex in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem at an approximate valley elevation of 6700 feet. It resides in a wilderness area and is bordered on one side by the Centennial Mountains leveling out onto a mosaic of wetlands, and then into semi-arid grasslands and sagebrush.
Grizzly bears are present on the landscape at the Refuge, along with elk, deer, wolves, mountain lions, pronghorn, moose, swans, and numerous waterfowl species.
Summers are short and generally mild, with temperatures rarely exceeding the mid-80s, but with very chilly mornings sometimes dipping below freezing – it can snow during any month at the Refuge. Mosquitos also abound during spring and summer months.
Due to its remoteness, shopping for groceries and immediate medical care are upwards of two hours away, with the closest communities being Idaho Falls, Idaho (110 miles), Rexburg, ID (102 miles), Dillon, Montana (84 Miles), and West Yellowstone, Montana (50 miles). Housing is provided by the Refuge.
Expected entry on duty date will be 9 May through the end of September.
In addition to these work projects, weather permitting, other duties may include but are not limited to:
- temporary fence repair and installation (electric) and wildlife drop fence
- aspen seed collection (if it’s a late spring and you get here in time – this sometimes happens in mid-late spring)
- boundary sign replacement
- maintenance of an interpretive native pollinator/wildﬂower “garden” for the visitor center
- campground fee collection / maintenance
- facilities maintenance – staining, painting, mowing, etc. (generally later in the year)
- riparian creek restoration, songbird, and grouse projects
- leg banding of waterfowl at a neighboring Refuge (late summer – generally after Labor Day in September)
- some habitat/invasive plant work at a neighboring Refuge
Conditions of Employment
Required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine;
Receive from SCA a reasonable accommodation granting an exemption from vaccine requirements based on a medical disability or because of a sincerely held religious belief. Additional information and instructions regarding how to request a reasonable accommodation will be provided at the time of selection.