Job Title: Consultant/Senior Consultant
Salary: £28-38,000 /year depending on experience
Location: Home/Remote (must be UK based)
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 19th March 2021:
1. A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and what you would bring to the role
2. A CV
3. A recent example of something you have written
First interviews will be scheduled for week commencing 22nd March.
Biodiversify is a conservation consultancy which advises a range of private, public and third sector clients who want to act for nature. We work at the cutting-edge of scientific research to employ creative and disruptive techniques to challenge the status-quo of how biodiversity is managed in practice. Our team is able to offer a wide range of services and we have undertaken projects which vary from fisheries governance research to biodiversity impacts of the fashion sector. We are midway through the largest ever natural capital planning project in the UK which we are delivering through close collaboration with our clients, Water Resources East. In addition, we are also supporting Defra and Natural England in the delivery of the Local Nature Recovery Strategy Pilots.
We are a small company of experts who work remotely with a strong emphasis on quality and innovation but who place a high value on work-life balance, job satisfaction and career development. We are looking for a consultant with social experience to assist in handling and running stakeholder processes.
The candidate will be expected to support our team in delivering the social elements of natural capital planning across the UK. Main duties and responsibilities include:
· Working with stakeholders to help them understand our approaches, articulate their desires for nature and assist with trade-off decisions
· Run meetings, workshops and discussions
· Understand and advise on policy changes across different sectors
· Work with our spatial planners to blend stakeholder input within the analytical side of the planning work
· Networking and developing relationships with a range of different organisations
· Giving presentations and representing Biodiversify’s work at conferences and other engagements
Because Biodiversify is working and expanding into new areas of work there is a broad scope of other secondary responsibilities which can be adapted to take best advantage of the applicant’s skillset. These could potentially include; identifying new clients and seeking contracts, writing reports and proposals, developing corporate biodiversity strategies, conducting spatial analyses, undertaking targeted sustainability research.
We are working very hard to create a well-rounded team at Biodiversify. This is partly about making sure we have a good shared skillset but is more about finding people who fit well within the company. Because we are at the cutting edge of biodiversity sustainability, we often have to develop brand new approaches, something we can only do by working together creatively. We are therefore very interested to hear what you believe you can offer. We don’t have strong pre-determined notions of what this has to be but we are looking for someone with a strong set of soft skills, i.e. the ability to deal with people and streamline discursive processes. This position could be a recent PhD graduate or someone with more experience in stakeholder engagement/management.
1. A Masters degree in a relevant environmental/social subject
2. 5+ years of professional work experience or a PhD in a relevant subject
3. A strong demonstrated ability to manage meetings, discussions and negotiations in a professional yet friendly manner –This role will require someone who can quickly assess a situation and work with stakeholders to build rapport, manage relationships and take advantage of opportunities.
4. Demonstrated ability in running social research or stakeholder engagement – Analysis of social data would also be welcomed.
5. Ability to innovate – The successful applicant will need to be capable of developing innovative solutions to problems as they emerge as we rarely use “off the shelf” methods or approaches.
6. Strong conservation knowledge – Our organisation focuses on biodiversity, conservation and the environment. As such, demonstrating a strong general knowledge of the field will be important. Both education and practical experience are equally valid.
7. A demonstrated writing ability – We routinely produce a range of different reports, guides, applications and other written materials. The successful applicant will need to be able to deliver these to a high standard.
We do not expect applicants to have all of these characteristics and we are interested in hearing about any other skillsets the applicant has that they feel are relevant.
1. ArcGIS or QGIS
2. Marxan, Zonation, other spatial conservation planning software or using linear programming in optimization exercises
3. Statistical analysis
4. Coding languages e.g. R, python etc.
5. Interdisciplinary approaches
6. Corporate biodiversity and sustainability
7. Agricultural practices, management and sustainability
8. Supply chain management
9. UK environmental policy
Company Culture & Benefits
Our company ethos is centred around three main areas; (1) to work at the cutting edge of applied conservation science (2) To explore new markets and assist a wide range of entities who are thinking about biodiversity outside of typical ‘conservation’, and (3) To work in a way which is flexible, interesting and compatible with family life and our own needs and interests. We started Biodiversify with the aim of creating our dream jobs. This is partially about the work we do, but also about our work ethic and professional culture. The successful candidate will be able to play an active role in shaping this as we evolve and grow.
Specific benefits include:
• Company pension scheme
• Home working contributions as laid out in our Remote Working Policy
• Sick pay
• 25 days annual leave + 8 bank holidays
• Flexible working
• Annual bonus in line with company performance
• Ability to contribute to academic research
Biodiversify is a conservation consultancy which advises a range of private, public and third sector clients who want to act for nature. We work at the cutting-edge of scientific research to employ creative and disruptive techniques to challenge the status-quo of how biodiversity is managed in practice. Our team is able to offer a wide range of services and we have undertaken projects which vary from fisheries governance research to biodiversity impacts of the fashion sector. We are a small company of experts who work remotely with a strong emphasis on quality and innovation but who place a high value on work-life balance, job satisfaction and career development.