This listing has expired.
BirdLife Malta is looking for an engaging and enthusiastic person to inspire, involve and educate children, young people and adults about birds and the natural world. As an Education Assistant you will be involved in planning, delivering and running events, visiting schools to give educational talks, developing new resources and administration of our programmes.
You will also support the wider work of the education team including international education projects, development of wildlife gardens, teacher training and summer school activities. You will be an ambassador for BirdLife Malta ensuring that we provide the opportunity for as many children, young people and adults to connect with nature as possible.
Those who have previously participated in a long-term Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) scheme or long-term Erasmus+ Volunteering scheme are not eligible to apply for this position.
- Aged 18-30
- A citizen of one of these programme countries: Italy, Spain, UK, Poland and Turkey
- Friendly, enjoy meeting new people and keen to experience a different culture
- Organised and able to meet deadlines
- Able to demonstrate a high standard of communication and people engagement skills
- Keen to learn about environmental education and how to engage people with nature
- Willing to learn with an adaptable approach in line with the needs of a charitable organisation’s structure, including working flexible and occasional long hours
The Erasmus+ Volunteering programme will provide you with:
- Accommodation in a shared room close to our offices in Ta’ Xbiex/in the northern part of the Island close to our nature reserves, or with host families
- Coverage of all living costs such as electricity, water, gas, and internet
- Reimbursement of the flight and other transport costs (bus, train, metro, visa) up to a certain limit
- €300 monthly allowance
- Private CIGNA insurance
Description of duties:
There is the opportunity for the volunteer to gain a wide range of experience and skills across the organisation. Specific duties for this position are as follows:
- Develop creative activities and ideas for engaging children with nature to be implemented during events and other engagement opportunities
- Deliver education programmes in schools through educational talks and encouraging outdoor learning in school grounds
- Plan and organise educational events throughout the year
- Deliver educational sessions for youth groups and any other requests
- Administration work including recording school engagement with our education programme ‘Dinja Waħda’ and booking school field visits at our nature reserves wider education team
- Support the work of the wider education team including international projects, wildlife gardens in school grounds and other community engagement
- Support the delivery of summer school programme at Salina Nature Reserve
- Support the delivery of teacher training workshops and school events
- Administration and office communication
- Attend regular meetings with the Education Manager to review progress and plan ahead
- Attend regular education meetings
- Compile an end-of-year report for volunteering assistants
- Support the Education Manager with any additional administration tasks when requested