Period: 3-4 months, start and end dates flexible throughout Dec/Jan (we will begin reviewing applications for winter internships in late November)
Hours: Negotiable. We will consider part-time applicants (20+ hours/week) or full-time applicants (35+ hours/week).
To safeguard marine ecosystems on a global scale, Marine Conservation Institute launched Blue Parks. Blue Park Awards incentivize governments to protect marine life by recognizing effective marine protected areas that meet science-based standards. We aim to catalyze strong protection for at least 30% of the global ocean by 2030, enough to avert the extinction of most marine life.
Blue Parks Science Interns train closely with the program director and help evaluate marine protected areas (MPAs) for Blue Park Awards. The Science Intern will conduct research on nominated MPAs and write evaluation reports. The intern will also have the opportunity to contribute pieces to the Institute’s blog, On the Tide.
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent internet research skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability/willingness to learn new computer programs
- Understanding of ocean conservation issues
- Familiarity with marine protected areas
- Experience searching and reading scientific literature
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Additional language skills a plus
The successful remote candidate is effective working independently and is also a proactive communicator, overcoming the challenges of communicating via Zoom, email, and phone.
Responsibilities may include:
- Research and compile information on MPAs from around the world
- Research advances in MPA monitoring and enforcement approaches
Conservation program assistance:
- Assist with communications – writing blog pieces, etc.
- Proofreading a variety of external documents, emails, website pages
- Brainstorming a variety of activities and programs
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, and listings will be posted until filled. To apply to a position, please send the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Cover letter detailing your interests, relevant experience, goals and dates of availability
- Short formal writing sample
- Course list detailing applicable coursework experience
- List of 3 references
Please reference the position title and your name in the subject line. Please do not call our office regarding this opportunity.