Exmoor Zoo is looking to take on a Keeper within the Carnivore section of the Mammal Department, who will be an experienced, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual.
The duties will be to assist the carnivore team in the running of that section to ensure high standards of welfare and husbandry for the animals. You will be a good team worker, able to motivate others, as well as show initiative, have a positive outlook and be responsible for suggesting work routines for keepers occasionally. You will have a proven record of working with catgeory1 carnivores and be able to work alone in compliance with the zoo’s lone working policy. You will also play an integral role in training and enrichment of the animals, as well as maintenance of their enclosures.
Requirements of the position;
- You will be required to have a minimum of 2 years full time employment in a recognised Zoo environment. It will be expected that you have experience with carnivore keeping particularly category 1 animals and some working skills with other animals. Some of this “other” experience can be given here.
- You should have passed the DMZAA or equivalent or be prepared to gain those qualifications.
Hold a full U.K. driving licence and have your own vehicle due to location.
- Keep up to date with current practices in animal husbandry and welfare and have a working knowledge of the Conservation and Education roles within modern Zoos.
- Be able to keep calm in stressful situations and be able to handle and manage animals during certain procedures.
- Have a basic understanding of D.I.Y.
You will be required to work Bank Holidays and weekends.
- You will also represent Exmoor Zoo at Conferences when required.
- You will have two fixed days off per week.
Please register your interest by sending an email with an enclosed cover letter and your current C.V. to Danny Reynolds, Animal collection Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be held until the position is filled.