The Shark Trust, the UK-based charity working around the world for positive change, is looking for a citizen science data officer. You will join our team and lead on the collection and management of data across our 4 citizen science projects. Working with our conservation and communications teams, you’ll be responsible for managing our recording databases, building external partnerships and coordinating students and volunteers. All with the goal of putting data to good use for shark and ray conservation efforts.
- A degree/Masters in a marine science.
- At least two years relevant experience.
- Environmental data handling/analysis experience.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience working with databases
- Knowledge of elasmobranch biology and ecology, including good species ID skills.
- Excellent information research skills.
- An excellent standard of written work and attention to fine detail.
- Strong communication skills for a wide range of audiences.
- Good organisational skills and an aptitude for prioritisation.
- The ability to self-motivate whilst working as part of a close-knit team.
- An ability to work under pressure to deadlines and deliverables.
- Oversee the functioning of the Shark Trust recorder web portal and smartphone apps to ensure provision of professional and engaging platforms for recorder engagement.
- Carry out regular checks and validation on the recording database to ensure a high quality of data integrity and accuracy, including correct species identification.
- Work with colleagues in the communication team to produce regular social media content to promote and celebrate citizen science projects and achievements.
- Develop and manage external partnerships (UK and overseas) to aid in the collection, analysis, application and reporting of citizen science data.
- Produce and deliver a suite of training materials and resources to aid community group leaders in delivering citizen science projects.
- Recruit and manage volunteers and students to assist in the management and analysis of citizen science data.
- Produce regular citizen science project reports and identify potential projects or analysis for future work.