This listing has expired.
City Parks Foundation seeks two college interns to work during the school year in our Seeds to Trees Program. The mission of Seeds to Trees is to educate elementary and middle school students about urban ecology, forest ecology, marine ecology, parks stewardship and conservation using parks as an outdoor classroom. This program blends hands-on classroom sessions and outdoor field experiences in parks or gardens, and offers professional development for partner teachers.
The College Intern will assist Seeds to Trees staff to implement the program throughout October and November, primarily through outdoor field experiences, with occasional classroom time. The Seeds to Trees College Intern reports to the Associate Director of Environmental Education and works closely with Seeds to Trees Program Manager and part-time educators.
- Interns will work with the Seeds to Trees Program Staff to implement our environmental education program
- Internships will begin in mid-October 2019 and last until the end of November 2019
- Interns will work 12 – 16 hours per week
- Interns will assist with the facilitation of Seeds to Trees activities in the field and in the classroom
- Provide logistical support and complete general administrative duties, such as lesson preparation, and other related tasks as needed
- Support the gathering of digital materials and anecdotes for marketing purposes
- Assist with data collection and recordkeeping
- Help maintain, repair and properly store program gear
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Education, Environmental Education/Science, Environmental Studies, or related field
- Knowledge of/experience in Environmental Science and Education a plus
- Commitment to helping middle and elementary school students develop an interest in Environmental Science and NYC Parks through positive attitude and role modeling
- Desire to learn through working closely with urban, underserved youth
- Commitment to punctuality and attendance
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team essential
- Willingness to work outdoors in October and November
ABOUT CITY PARKS FOUNDATION
City Parks Foundation (CPF) is the only independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to offer programs in public parks throughout the five boroughs of New York City. At CPF, we are dedicated to invigorating and transforming parks into dynamic, vibrant centers of urban life through sports, arts, community development, and education programs for all New Yorkers. Our programs and community building initiatives — located in more than 350 parks, recreation centers, and public schools across New York City — reach 425,000 people each year.
- We present the largest free, outdoor performing arts festival in NYC through SummerStage, presenting artists of the highest quality across multiple disciplines and genres, and marionette puppet theater in all five boroughs with our Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre and the roving PuppetMobile.
- Partnerships for Parks, a public-private program of City Parks Foundation and NYC Parks, supports and champions a growing network of leaders who care and advocate for the transformation of their neighborhood parks.
- We connect youngsters to nature in the urban environment with education programs that provide learning experiences through classroom and hands-on activities in parks, urban forests, coastal areas, gardens, and recreation centers.
- Free golf, tennis, track & field, soccer, and fitness programs bring high-quality instruction and equipment into areas where few organized athletic opportunities exist. We offer leveled training, year-round scholarship coaching, and special pro events.
Our ethos is simple: we believe thriving parks reflect thriving communities.
Interested parties should email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements: education[at]cityparksfoundation.org. Put title of position in subject header.
Thank you for your interest in City Parks Foundation, an equal opportunity employer. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.