Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit group dedicated to making California coastal waters safe and healthy for people and marine life. We achieve our mission by using science, advocacy, community outreach, and public education to create positive change in our environment.
Reporting to the Beach Programs Manager, the Seasonal Coastal Cleanup Day Communications Coordinator creates, organizes, and publishes an inclusive and dynamic digital campaign across Heal the Bay’s channels for the 32 st Annual Coastal Cleanup Day (CCD). CCD is the cornerstone cleanup program and lives in concert with our suite of beach programs including: Adopt-A-Beach Cleanups, Suits on the Sand Cleanups, and Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanups. The Coastal Cleanup Month Communications Coordinator works closely with the Communications, Outreach, Advancement teams to coordinate a successful outreach and marketing campaign.
This part-time (25 hr/week average) temporary position is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and exposure in the environmental field. It will begin as soon as the candidate is available and end on September 30, 2021. At this point in the COVID-19 recovery all staff remain working from home. We continue to evaluate the safety and necessity of returning to the office.
- Plan, promote, and coordinate a primarily digital campaign for Heal the Bay’s cleanup programs.
- Plan and produce educational activities and content for children, youth, families, businesses, organizations, and adults.
- Make virtual presentations to community leaders and groups about the campaign.
- Work with Beach Programs Manager to update the Coastal Cleanup Day volunteer and contact database.
- Work with BIPOC influencers, celebrities, partners, print, radio, television, and digital media for greater exposure and engagement.
- Campaign assets in English, Spanish and Korean languages from an artist.
- Digital content that raises awareness and recruits volunteers from schools, businesses, and community groups to participate.
- Strong communications and writing skills.
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar customer relationship management tool.
- Expertise creating content for website pages, forms, email, videos, graphics, flyers, gifs, and social media posts.
- Well organized and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to coordinate large groups of volunteers and community groups.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Excel and Word.
- Cultural competency is critical.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Passion for the environment is a plus.
- Experience creating a social media or digital campaign in the environmental space is a plus.
- Ability to work remotely