Dumaguete City, Philippines (opportunity to work for up to 3 months from home / another country after 6 months)
10,000 GBP per annum. (~13,000 USD) (dependent on experience)
(There will be a probationary / training period of 4 months at 7,000 GBP pro rata)
Length of employment:
Permanent / Fixed term following a 4 month trial period.
About The Reef-World Foundation
The Reef-World Foundation is a UK registered charity with its roots founded on delivering information on basic marine ecology to fishing villages and local communities in Thailand since 1999. Today we are operating across the globe supporting governments and communities to sustainably develop their coastal resources. Our flagship programme, implemented in partnership with UN Environment and governments, is the Green Fins initiative which focuses on environmentally friendly SCUBA diving and snorkelling practices for the protection of coral reefs and associated ecosystems. Green Fins was first implemented in Thailand in 2004, and over 500 dive and snorkel operators across nine countries have since joined the programme. Reef-World is the UN Environment’s lead technical partner for Green Fins, and oversee all programme development, capacity building and international expansion. Reef-World is led by a small but highly effective team of passionate and dedicated individuals who are driven by achieving lasting conservation impacts in areas of the world where it is needed the most. The Reef-World Foundation is subject to UK employment laws.
The vision of Reef-World’s communications strategy is to make sustainable diving the social norm. We are seeking a strategic-thinking and creative Communications Manager to continue to shape and lead us, and our network of partners, towards this vision.
This individual will have the opportunity to craft and deliver global communication and marketing campaigns to inspire action to address immediate threats to coral reefs and associated marine ecosystem health. They will be driven to understand the challenges faced by our local stakeholders around the world (dive guides, instructors, operation managers and local resource managers) and use this as inspiration for innovating Reef-World’s communication content, material and dissemination channels to empower more individuals to take action for environmental protection around the world.
In addition to their primary role, they will also support in the delivery of Green Fins (~25% of time), alongside country partners and teams consisting of government representatives and NGO’s. Green Fins promotes best environmental standards for the diving and snorkeling industry and is currently active in Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Palau, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Tasks would include:
- Communications Strategy delivery
- Lead on stakeholder engagement, public relations, digital and communication campaigns, engaging a range of audiences across a diverse set of geographies and platforms;
- Campaign design, development and implementation; based on results from analysis of current and past communication campaigns / social marketing research (or similar);
- Act as the communications contact for outreach partners (press and media), Green Fins partners (dive and snorkel operators and dive professionals), general public and symbiotic partners (corporate);
- Design new, manage current and oversee production of marketing, outreach and capacity building materials associated with Reef-World projects (e.g. Green Fins materials);
- Manage all articles and publications; with the support of the Reef-World team, release compelling content that works across a variety of channels (press releases, news, blogs, articles, publications);
- Lead development of The Reef-World Public Annual Report;
- Design collateral for conferences, dive and travel shows and international conservation events;
- Alongside Reef-World operational team, represent Reef-World at conferences, dive and travel shows, and international conservation events; and:-
- Lead recruitment and management of Design and Communications intern.
- Brand management
- Implement Branding Guidelines within Reef-World and with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensuring all content is on-brand and consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice; and :-
- Maintain branded document templates for Reef-World and Green Fins.
- Digital development and social media management
- Manage Reef-World and Green Fins social media accounts;
- Plan and execute digital marketing campaigns (e.g. blog, newsletter and news releases);
- Website management for Reef-World and Green Fins;
- Green Fins fundraising subsite development;
- Green Fins fundraising subsite campaign management; and:-
- Optimize and automate social media management and ROI where possible.
- Monitor campaign impact and uptake (automate analytics where possible);
- Gather, analyse, interpret and report on social media and marketing campaign / articles / publication performance statistics and uptake; and:-
- Support the reporting of communication activities and reach to the Trustees, UN Environment and other grant sources.
- Green Fins implementation support
- Support in training and capacity building for Green Fins across active countries and new countries (will involve diving); and:-
- Work closely with Green Fins partners (dive and snorkel centres, NGOs, national and local authorities) to share lessons across active countries, support implementation and provide technical advice for enhanced conservation impact.
Skills / Aptitudes
- Proven organisational and project management ability; must be able to multi-task, prioritise, and meet deadlines;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to successfully engage with all stakeholders;
- Proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat) and high level of proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Fluent in English, spoken and written;
- Very good SCUBA diving and snorkelling skills;
- Possess good interpersonal skills, agility to think and act strategically;
- A proactive and resourceful team member able to work independently and remotely across multiple time zones, while maintaining strong communications with international team members;
- Capable of delivering training and guiding project partners and stakeholders with a high degree of cultural sensitivity;
- High degree of flexibility, and ability to work against deadlines (including some nights and weekends), and under frequently-changing circumstances;
- Adaptable and comfortable with working and travelling around developing countries (~25% of total time) often with very little notice, and comfortable with occasional logistical ambiguity;
- Motivated to act independently in advancing program goals while also being able to take direction and follow organisational procedure; and:-
- Tactful, organized, persistent, sense of humour.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or related fields;
- Experience of delivering communication strategies;
- Experience of working with a range of communication partners; and:-
- Confident and capable SCUBA diver trained to a minimum of PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent and / or at least 70 dives experience.
- Experience in social media analytics and SEO management, including content marketing;
- Knowledge / experience of societal behavioural change projects and / or social marketing research;
- Second language;
- Previous knowledge of the diving / tourism industry; and:-
- Previous experience in training and / or education.
Applications close 2nd December. Interviews (via Skype) week commencing 10th December.
Please email a CV and your cover letter summarising your relevant experience, future aspirations in the marine conservation sector and outlining what you hope to achieve with The Reef-World Foundation. We will then get back to you after the team has reviewed your application and let you know if we would like to pursue your application.
Due to the expected volume of incoming enquiries, the charity does not have the resources to provide feedback on applications that have not been accepted. If you do not hear from us by the 21st December then take note that we have decided not to take your application further.
Email: [email protected]