This listing has expired.
Calling all inspiring communication professionals and marine lovers! Are you passionate about marine conservation and dedicated to helping the Ocean Conservation Trust in our mission to connect as many people as possible with the Ocean?
We want everyone to #thinkocean in their daily lives and we need an exceptional communications professional to help us do just that!
About our Charity & role
As a global Ocean conservation charity, we restore and protect the Ocean, through people and taking positive action, focusing on habitat restoration and promoting pro-Ocean behaviour.
Conservation is all about people. Our team of marine biologists, educators, communicators, researchers, ecologists, oceanographers and divers are Ocean optimists. We work tirelessly to connect people with the Ocean and influence pro-Ocean behaviour.
We are looking for the right person to join our Marketing and Communications department as a Communications Officer The position will ideally be based at our base, the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, but we are open to remote working with regular office visits.
This role will predominantly focus on the planning and delivery of exceptional campaigns to help our charity communicate with our key audiences about our work. You will be provided with the necessary resources and support from the team based at our Aquarium in Plymouth.
You will need to be self-motivated and enthusiastic to generate long-term working relationships. You will need to be a self-starter, able to work autonomously and managing your own time.
- Build understanding of and support for the charitable work of the OCT through communications activity (internally and externally).
- Research areas of marine science and horizon scan for up and coming national and global conservation issues.
- Coordinate conservation communication materials including flyers, posters and online collateral
- Work with the team and Head of Department to develop and deliver communication activity for all OCT messages to drive improvements in engagement, knowledge and behaviour change regarding Ocean conservation for a wide range of external and internal audiences.
- Work closely with the Head of Advocacy and Engagement and the Development Officer to champion conservation, engagement and restoration programmes across the UK.
- Work closely with colleagues to ensure that the brand is embedded across all communication activity, ensuring consistent brand use across all communications.
- Answer media enquiries and draft responses on behalf of the OCT.
- Help to manage the social media community and their responses to ensure the OCT is portrayed positively and to support all social media channels via content creation scheduled for maximum impact and strategic balance.
- Maintain and update the OCT website with relevant content.
- Deliver all charity communication e-newsletters to members/supporters/subscribers
- A degree (or equivalent) in Media Studies, Marketing, creative writing, natural science or other appropriate discipline.
- 3 years in a similar role
- Brand ambassador/champion experience
- Professional social media account management
- Campaign management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good listener
- Effective organisational skills particularly forward planning
- Excellent knowledge of marine conservation
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Selling skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Full clean driving license and car owner