This listing has expired.
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Communications Specialist is responsible for creating, managing and delivering various types of communication throughout the organization.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Communications
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Create persuasive and compelling content for a variety of tactics, including web, email, digital, and print.
- Manage project plans and workflow for key events that amplify the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance brand
- Manage the development of key communications, project timelines, campaign plans, agendas, and written content for these events, as well as integrating all relevant SDZWA cross-functional teams throughout the organization, including marketing, philanthropy, event operations, government relations, internal communications, and more
- Primary point of contact within the Corporate Communication team for all organizational Conservation Science and Wildlife Health programming, communication strategies, partner communications, and materials as well as the SDZWA seminar series
- Manage SDZWA Signature Wildlife Days and serves as primary point of contact for digital and on-grounds campaign activations, including digital, email, PR and social media to ensure all activities and components are executed successfully.
- Support the Associate Director of Communications with logistics and planning of CEO and Executive Team communications and media/speaking opportunities
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
- 2-4 years’ previous work experience in communications, project management, HR and/or public/media relations preferred.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field preferred.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple campaign initiatives concurrently.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and decision-making judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a strong sense of urgency, a high degree of initiative, and the ability to support and participate in cross-functional projects and teams.
- Must demonstrate a high level of professional integrity and confidentiality and the ability to handle sensitive issues and situations with poise and emotional maturity.
- Must be a strong team player with the ability to work comfortably with people of diverse skills, levels, experience and personalities.
- The ability to work comfortably in a highly dynamic, fast-paced corporate environment where a high degree of flexibility is required.
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to use technology to ensure consistent and constant communications.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego Zoo- Communications/Public Relations
- Duration: Year round
- Non-Exempt Position: Hourly is commensurate with experience
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time.
***IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN A UNION POSITION AND ARE HIRED FOR A NON-UNION POSITION THERE WILL BE A CHANGE IN BENEFITS SO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO REACH OUT TO YOUR BENEFITS REPRESENTATIVE.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!