The Community Program Internship is designed to support school-based and community-based programs throughout Whatcom County. Help our team facilitate our Students for Salmon 4th-grade field trips during the week, and/or lead volunteers at restoration work parties on Saturdays.
NSEA educates, inspires, and engages the community to take action to keep wild salmon here for future generations. Achieving our mission requires the collective work, involvement, and commitment of our community. At NSEA we work every day to expand the consciousness of our local community to include our streams and the salmon that do and could inhabit them. We are dedicated to providing Whatcom County residents with hands-on experience in restoration and the tools to act as stewards to salmon habitat. We believe that when we begin to understand ourselves as citizens of our watersheds, the vision of sustainable wild salmon runs can become a reality. Our growing community of volunteers, students, and donors provide momentum as we work together to ensure that Whatcom County will be home to wild salmon for generations to come. For more information, please visit our webpage: www.n-sea.org.
At NSEA, we strongly encourage candidates of all racial and gender identities, cultural and economic backgrounds, and of any sexual orientation to apply for employment and service opportunities. NSEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.
About the FLOW Program
As part of the Future Leaders of Whatcom Waters (FLOW) Program the Community Program Internship provides real-world experiences and professional development opportunities for the future leaders of the environmental and educational fields.
- $15 per hour, up to 20 hours per week depending on availability and program schedule
- On-the-job training and professional development in environmental education, community outreach, salmon ecology, and habitat restoration
- Opportunities to network with other professionals in the fields of education, outreach, and restoration
- Educate fourth grade students in salmon ecology topics during Students for Salmon field trips
- Lead and educate volunteers in salmon ecology and habitat restoration at Community Work Parties
- Assist in Salmon Discovery Program events and activities such as Salmon Sightings
- Work collaboratively with fellow interns to plan and organize for upcoming needs
- Assist in all aspects of programming, including set-up, clean-up, and supply/tool maintenance
- Assist with facility needs, if applicable
- Other duties as assigned as needed
Individual intern schedules and responsibilities will depend on availability.
- 18 years or older
- Able to get to NSEA’s campus, located at 3057 E. Bakerview Rd. in Bellingham
- Full day (7am-4pm) availability on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and/or Saturdays
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
The most successful applicants will have:
- A strong passion for NSEA’s mission, environmental education, stewardship, and outreach
- Willingness to work in mostly outdoor and some office settings throughout term
- Lived or professional experience working with people of all ethnicities, gender identities, incomes, abilities, and ages, especially youth
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish, Punjabi, or Ukrainian fluently
Please complete the application here: https://forms.office.com/r/ZJCs89fzVj
For questions, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email Sarah Brown at email@example.com or call 360-715-0283.
Open until all positions are filled. Apply now!
Position is contingent on funding and public health related regulations. Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving check.
Disclaimer: This announcement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the intern