The Atlanta Botanical Garden invites applications for the Conservation Database Coordinator position for the Southeastern Center for Conservation within the Department of Conservation & Research. The successful candidate will coordinate and administer the Center’s databases and GIS tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate migration of Conservation data to IrisBG including data cleaning, file organization, updating plant accessions, names, locations, and sources, and defining custom data fields
- Update records: Update accessions on a regular basis to accurately reflect the composition of the Conservation Collections including outplanting and removals
- Maintain the database: Supervise Conservation plant records activities including maintaining and supporting plant accessions database, geodatabase, and image documentation
- Maintain accurate labeling: coordinate and produce plant accession tags and display labels and affix them to plant specimens in the field
- Supervise staff, interns, and volunteers tasked with tracking and documentation of conservation plant specimens according to criteria outlined in Conservation Plant Collections Policy
- Perform mapping and inventories: survey plants, beds, and infrastructure with GPS / GIS equipment, and research and verify plant names
- Assemble information resources on collections in accessible formats for partners and export data into global data aggregators including iDigBio, GBIF, GGBN, and other relevant sources
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, GIS, Botany, Conservation, Ecology, Plant Science or a related field desired
- Experience with relational databases including SQL, preferably Microsoft SQL Server
- Ability to conduct library research and online data mining
- A self-directed team player who works well independently
- Evidence of good character, mature attitude, and professional integrity
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.