Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Curator of Mammals supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance (SDZWA) mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Curator of Mammals is responsible for the strategic wildlife population management through connecting species survival, conservation hubs, and SDZSP goals. This position reports to the Director of Wildlife Care.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Responsible for oversight of Mammals Staff including, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, training and performance management.
- Develop and communicate an overall strategy for the population of approximately 1200 mammals representing over 100 species with a focus on team member engagement, unique and authentic guest experience, conservation impact, and securing our future.
- Develops and implements actions to improve workplace culture with an emphasis on our values (Collaborate, Innovate, Inspire, Thrive). Actively lead employee engagement, development, recruitment, and retention while fostering inclusion.
- Collaborates with San Diego Zoo Safari Park’s Directors, Wildlife Health, and SDZWA Curators in all matters of mammal and other wildlife care.
- Ensure mammal population operations comply with established SDZWA protocols, professional standards and government regulations while continuously striving to exceed SDZWA levels of animal welfare standards in collaboration with the Wildlife Care Team.
- Responsible for department budget and ensuring fiscally responsible forecasting and budget compliance.
- Prepare and maintain population records and develop and recommend department taxa policies and procedures.
- Direct and evaluate breeding, management and conservation programs.
- Oversee habitat maintenance and safety as it applies to all AZA, USDA, and USFWS standards.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
- Previous curatorial experience desirable; knowledge of demographics and genetics management preferred.
- Experience in responsible zoo/animal management, habitat development and personnel supervision required.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in biological or natural sciences or a related field or equivalent specialized training with mammals preferred.
- California Driver License
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act and mammal conservation landscape.
- Demonstrated ability to present to large groups of people.
- Able to operate moderately complex computer software programs.
- Strong working knowledge of mammal population, welfare and emergency protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to lead highly effective, diverse teams.
- Able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park- Mammals
- Duration: Year round
- Exempt: Salary commensurate with experience