Despite the significant challenges that the pandemic has thrown at Twycross Zoo, we are as determined as ever to evolve and progress with our ambitious plans.
Based in the heart of England, we are an award-winning conservation charity and rapidly growing visitor attraction. We’re committed to supporting global welfare and conservation efforts in the captive breeding of endangered species whilst supporting projects from many different countries around the world, including Ape Action Africa, Lola Ya Bonobo and the FFI Cao Vit Gibbon Project.
In 2014, we launched our 20 year, £55million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats which have opened to the public include Giraffe Savannah, Gibbon Forest and a £3.5 million world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and we are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success.
What will this role of Deputy Team Leader (Animal Keeper – Great Apes) entail?
Working in the only zoo in the UK to accommodate all four Great Apes, you’ll take a hands-on approach to ensuring that animal keeping is carried out to the Zoo’s required standards on a day to day basis, and actively supporting the Team Leader.
You will lead a medium sized team and supervise all areas of daily animal operations, with duties to include but not be limited to:
- Managing all areas of animal husbandry
- Reviewing diets and ensuring the correct diets are prepared and distributed
- Leading and supervising introductions of new animals into social groups
- Monitoring pregnancies and births
- Liaising with the on-site veterinary team to ensure optimal health of all animals
- Checking and ensuring enclosure structure security, reporting any concerns immediately
In addition to the above, you will also:
- Report to the Team Leader, managing and supervising a team of up to 10 Animal Keepers, alongside another Deputy Team Leader
- Assist the Team Leader with the training and development of Great Apes Keepers, including conducting 121s, performance reviews and suggest performance improvements
- Participate in on-site research projects (mostly behavioural, cognitive and welfare studies)
- Supervise and encourage work experience students and apprentices
- Engage with visitors and answer enquiries
What will I need to be considered for this Deputy Team Leader (Animal Keeper – Great Apes) vacancy?
- Proven experience and demonstrable working knowledge of zoological animal management, with a strong track record of working with Great Apes
- Experience of people / team management
- Ideally have or working towards an appropriate qualification, such as the Diploma in the Management of Zoo Animals and Aquaria
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good team player with a positive and enthusiastic outlook and the ability to motivate a team
- Ability to adapt to change
- Good IT literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications