This listing has expired.
The University of Maryland/Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center/Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies (UMD/ESSIC/CISESS) is seeking candidates for a support scientist to work on the Coral Reef Information System data management project at NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in Silver Spring. The Coral Reef Information System is a web-based portal which provides access to coral reef information, publications, data and data products. The candidate will support the CRCP Grants Data Management efforts to ensure that data and publications produced through this program are accessible and discoverable through the CoRIS website.
Job Title: Support Scientist for NOAA’s Coral Reef Information System
Organization: Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center
Job Location: College Park, MD
Duration: Full-Time. This position is currently funded for 1 year, with the possibility of extension to additional years.
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 31, 2019
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist scientists in creating accessible documents that meet federal IT accessibility laws and policies (e.g. Section 508 compliance)
- Work closely with NOAA Library staff to catalog CRCP and other NOAA coral ecosystems publications received
- Examine data collections to verify the content of the collection, the suitability of the documentation, and other tasks necessary to prepare data and information for long-term preservation and data reuse.
- Perform specific NCEI Data Content Manager functions, including adding new data collections to the NCEI archive holdings and reviewing and revising the content of existing data collections maintained by the NCEI.
- Experience with MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with 508 accessibility checking software
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop
- BS in Environmental Science or Library/Information Science with 1-3 years of experience
U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents only due to NOAA access issues.