Ecologist – London
Ecologist – London
The Ecology Consultancy was established in 1999 and is now one of the largest dedicated consultancies owned and run by ecologists in the country. We are passionate about what we do and our staff enjoy working in a friendly and supportive environment. We pride ourselves on the quality of our work, our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity and enjoy working closely with our clients’ design teams.
The Ecology Consultancy has developed a sound reputation for delivering objective, high quality work to clients in the private, public and voluntary sectors and along with its sister environmental consultancy Temple, it forms part of Temple Group. Our principal areas of work are habitat and protected species surveys, watching brief and Ecological Clerk of Works, Ecological Impact Assessment, and Code for Sustainable Homes and BREEAM assessments, as well as providing training and advice, on a wide range of projects from major infrastructure projects such as HS2 to single dwellings and barn conversions.
We are passionate about what we do and strive to create friendly and supportive working environment and are developing a structured programme to assist staff in their career progression.
The Ecologist will be involved in all areas of our work with an emphasis on preliminary ecological appraisals, protected species surveys, including bat surveys and mitigation and the production of ESPM licence applications.
The Ecologist will also be required to take on and manage individual contracts in order to deliver high quality ecological consultancy services within budget and to meet deadlines. This may involve: liaising with clients, other consultants and consultees; acquiring data from third parties; organising and supervising other Ecology Consultancy staff and sub-contractors; preparing maps and writing and editing reports. The Ecologist will also assist colleagues with the general running of the office and help with the marketing and promotion of the company.
The post is based in our London office, but the project-based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement to undertake such travel as is necessary to successfully carry out contracts. This may include overnight stays and, possibly, longer periods of working away from home. Weekend working may also be required.
Essential skills and aptitudes
- An appropriate degree qualification;
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience;
- Excellent knowledge of UK and relevant European environmental legislation;
- Have, or be working towards a NE survey licence for bats and be competent at Preliminary Roost Assessments, emergence / re-entry surveys, activity transects
- Be a member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) or eligible for Associate Membership (or above);
- Be willing to work during evenings and at weekends;
- Have excellent fieldwork and report writing skills;
- Have experience of managing projects to time and budget;
- Able to lead and co-ordinate surveys;
- Be proactive, a self-starter and able to use own initiative when appropriate;
- Have a full clean UK driving licence.
Desirable skills and aptitudes
- Be experienced at using a range of bat detectors and able to analyse sonograms accurately
- Experience in and advising on mitigation for at least one protected species
- Experience of writing ESPM licence applications
- A valid CSCS card.
What do we offer?
- Salary on a scale commensurate with experience from £20,000.00 – £28,000.00 (plus £2,000 for London Weighting);
- 25 days Annual leave;
- Structured and generous career development and training budget (The Orchard);
- Socials, games nights, volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative (PASE)
- Flextime, working from home and Time Off In Lieu
- Flexible location working
- Auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months service).
Applications (your CV and a covering letter) should be emailed to: email@example.com or posted to The Ecology Consultancy, Tempus Wharf, 33a Bermondsey Wall West, London, SE16 4TQ.
The Ecology Consultancy aims to promote equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients as is consistent with the company’s Equality and Diversity Policy.