- Vital Ecology
- Machynlleth, Wales
- Paid • Part Time • Permanent / 2 days per week with potential to become full time if desired
- Salary: £22’100 – £24’000 (Pro rata) depending upon experience/range of ecological skills
- Sectors: Ecology
- Closing date: 31st January 2021
Vital Ecology is a small but growing consultancy with a reputation for excellence, looking to recruit an ecologist to meet increasing workloads. This part-time permanent position will be a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work on a diverse range of ecological projects throughout Wales.
About Vital Ecology
Vital Ecology provide a variety of ecological surveys and services across Wales and into the English borders. We work on a wide range of projects from large landscape scale multi skillset projects through to small scale developments. We work with an excellent team of highly skilled freelance ecologists across the UK and are now looking to build a small permanent team based here in Machynlleth.
Please take a look at our website for more details of what we offer www.itsvital.co.uk
About the Role
Whilst working as an ecologist you will be involved with conducting a variety of ecological surveys including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecological Impact Assessments, Bat scoping surveys, general protected species work, GCN Habitat suitability surveys, ornithological surveys, and peat sampling. You will carry our desk studies, manage, and analyse field survey data, create ecological maps using GIS software and write technical reports.
As a key member of the team the following skills and experience are essential.
- Experience conducting Phase 1 / PEA
- QGIS experience
- Strong UK botanical identification skills
- A sound knowledge of British ecology and protected species
- An understanding of UK wildlife legislation.
- Protected species survey experience
- MS Office skills
- Ornithological survey experience
- Excellent report writing skills
- Motivated to work both independently and in a team, in sometimes in remote locations and during unsociable hours
- UK driving licence and vehicle; for site visits across the Wales
- Excellent organisation and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
The following skills and experience are desirable.
- Degree in ecology or related discipline
- CIEEM membership
- Experience within an ecological consultancy
- Natural Resources Wales bat survey licence
- First Aid qualification
- Experience of conducting ornithological vantage point surveys
- Experience conducting breeding bird surveys
- Experience conducting bat scoping surveys
- Experience undertaking bat emergence/re-entry surveys
- Experience undertaking bat scoping surveys
Vital Ecology is proud to offer you a highly rewarding career in Ecology, and a generous package of additional benefits including:
- 11.2 days annual paid leave
- External Training budget.
- In-house CPD programme.
- Complimentary onsite parking and refreshments
- Car mileage allowance
To apply, please send your CV, experience and covering letter, explaining why you feel this opportunity is right for you, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include start date availability and salary expectations.
If your application is successful, we will contact you by email or telephone, to discuss the next steps and arrange an interview. Interviews will take place in January 2021 and the post will begin by 1 March 2021.