This listing has expired.
Ecology Field Tutor – Isle of Wight
Ecology Field Tutor – Isle of Wight
The Medina Valley Centre has an exciting opportunity for a passionate Ecologist or Biologist to join our team as an Ecology Field tutor. You will primarily be elading ecology fieldwork for groups of GCSE and A level students as well as having an involvement in the wider activities of the centre.
Background to the Centre:
Medina Valley Centre for Outdoor Education owns a 3 acre site and manages an acre of woodland at a beautiful location on the banks of the Medina Estuary, one mile north of Newport, the county town of the Isle of Wight.
This 100 bed residential Centre has charitable status and provides a quality of care to all-comers that reflects its Christian roots and ethos. The Centre provides field study courses and multi-activity programmes for schools in term time.
During school vacations there are Royal Yachting Association dinghy sailing and yacht master courses, and multi-activity courses, including canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, archery, orienteering, nightline and rifle shooting. The Centre also hosts day conferences and offers a venue for training for a variety of national and local organisations, as well as church and youth group conferences and retreats.
There is a newly opened high quality wooden lodge which provides en-suite accommodation and lounge space which will expand the range of groups attracted to the Centre.
There is a small leadership team, an administration team, and a catering and domestic team, led by the Centre Manager. The Assistant Chief Instructor heads up the water sports and multi-activity programmes, involving a team of activity instructors who are resident at the Centre. Uniquely, there is a resident host who provides a special quality of care and an Outreach Officer who works as an ambassador for the Centre.
The team of four highly qualified tutors deliver the field study courses for all Key Stages, including GCSE and A Level Geography and Biology.
Around 1800 young people visit our Centre each year and many of the schools return year after year. School rebook in the knowledge that their students will receive a professionally-led course, while having a memorable residential experience in a Christian atmosphere, where care for the individual and respect for one’s neighbour are highly rated and actively taught by example.
In accordance with the Centre’s Christian foundation there is a genuine occupational requirement that the appointee be a practising Christian.
Further information may be found on our web site www.medinavalleycentre.org.uk
Job title: Field Studies Tutor
Salary: £18,500 – £21,000
Responsible to: Head of Field Studies
Requirements: A degree in Ecology, Marine Biology or a related subject
Qualified Teacher Status an advantage
- Teach the ecology component of GCSE and AS/A level Biology field study courses
- Teach cross-curricular field studies at Key Stage 2 and 3
- Assist with teaching Geography at all Key Stages, up to A Level
- Contribute to research projects, environmental monitoring, and management of the Centre’s nature reserve
- Contribute to raising the profile of the Centre through the website, social media and Island events
- Assist in teaching the fieldwork component of multi-activity programmes
- Assist with the delivery of multi-activity programmes, including orienteering, bushcraft and target shooting
- Assist with recording and presenting data from the Centre’s weather station
- Contribute to the smooth running of the residential Centre
- Drive the Centre’s minibus or be willing to train
The successful candidate will:
- uphold the aims and objectives of the Centre
- support the Christian ethos and spiritual life of the Centre
- take a full part in the life of the Centre
- assist and support other departments in the Centre when there is a need
- receive training for the First Aid qualification (Health and Safety at Work)
- adhere to the Centre’s safeguarding policy and undergo a DBS check with enhanced disclosure
Personal specification and qualities:
A passion for the Great Outdoors and natural history, and have an awareness of the potential for motivating and transforming young people through fieldwork
Have an ability to inspire awe and wonder in the natural world
Be an effective team player, responding to needs throughout the Centre as they arise
Have a servant heart
- Work alongside experienced tutors who are keen to pass on their knowledge about the Island’s special natural history and fieldwork sites
- Training will be available to gain qualifications in sailing, canoeing/kayaking, powerboating, archery, target shooting and bushcraft
- Opportunities to assist with the multi-activity programmes
E-mail the Centre Manager, Dave Sinclair, for a job description and application form, and include a brief CV [email protected]
The Medina Valley Centre is a charity with a Christian foundation and there is a genuine occupational requirement that the appointee is a practising Christian