This listing has expired.
Are you an experienced ecologist looking to lead and nurture a successful team whilst maintaining a work life balance? Or looking to work on a greater diversity of projects where you can continue to develop your technical expertise whilst mentoring and supporting colleagues?
Who is tetra Tech?
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do. They help our clients succeed, our business prosper and the communities we work in thrive. We need the very best designers, project managers, engineers, surveyors, town planners, environmental specialists and business service professionals to maintain our reputation as a market leader. We do this by taking care of our people; offering fantastic flexible benefits, providing personal and professional development, and giving employees the opportunity to work on exciting and ground-breaking projects.
We don’t want Tetra Tech to be just your next role, we want it to be a step-change in your career and ultimately a move that you are proud to have made.
As Tetra Tech builds on its demonstrable track record as one of the leading global Environmental consultancies, we are seeking a talented and experienced ecologist to lead our north-east team. With ambitions to grow our UK presence to emulate the success of the global business, the team leader will join the 50 strong UK-based ecology team at a time when they can influence and shape the future of the business and when there are endless opportunities for career progression.
As a multidisciplinary consultancy, we work closely with colleagues from other teams including Planning, Placemaking, Engineering, Transportation and Asset Management including through the identification of opportunities, tendering and project delivery. The team leader will work on a broad spectrum of projects, liaise with other teams on a regular basis, and manage and support the regional ecology team’s involvement through all stages of a project. They will have the ability to think on their feet, steer the direction of the regional team and inform the long-term goals of the national ecology team and wider business. This is a great opportunity for someone with vision and ambition.
We work across a breadth of sectors including Residential, Defence, Energy, Government Services and Transport. Examples of projects we currently work on in the north-east include:
• Protected species monitoring of a large ecological mitigation site as part of the International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP) in Sunderland.
• Ecology surveys, reports, net gain assessments and protected species translocation for a large residential development site in Leeds.
• Protected species surveys and habitat assessments for DIO sites across the North.
• Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) assessment and protected species surveys across the North-East for a large-scale developer.
• Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects undertaking detailed ecological design.
Given the variety of projects we work on, we are looking for a talented ecologist who can confidently adapt their leadership and project management skills to develop client relationships and meet specific project requirements. As the regional team leader and an important contributor to the wider national team, and in line with our defined career framework, they will develop their own and the team’s expertise and business in a particular technical area – of specific relevance to the North-East team would be EcIA, HRA, Biodiversity Net Gain or European Protected Species expertise, especially bats. They will be able to provide direction to ensure technical report quality, health and safety management and budget control.
Projects will predominately be focused in the North-East region. However, we operate fully flexible, hybrid working which allows our ecologists to choose where, how and when they work as long as our clients are receiving the high-quality service they expect. We focus on talent and skills, not postcode. The role will require working closely with the regional lead, mentoring and managing other ecologists and developing relationships with clients and colleagues from other teams so may require some time at an office or alternative working space to suit those involved.
We are very happy to discuss flexible working for this role, including the possibility of reduced or compressed hours and flexible start or finish times. We can offer a range of solutions to help you get the most out of your work / life balance. If the timing’s not quite right for you, please do still get in touch as we will always consider deferring the start date for the right candidate.
About the team
• Over 50 permanent ecologists across 13 offices working as one cohesive team.
• Time away from home minimised.
• IT systems allow seamless remote and flexible working, so proximity to an office is not a barrier– we focus on talents & skills, not postcode. Our ecologists can work on the projects that interest them and deliver them to the highest standards.
• Cars or car allowances to every member of the team regardless of grade, including for personal use.
• Established TOIL system to allow time management to suit specific personal needs alongside seasonal demands.
• Career frameworks provide clarity on how to progress.
• We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project. We offer internal and external training and mentoring, including from our inhouse experts.
• Bat handling licence incentivisation scheme to thank ecologists who spend time and effort in achieving their licence – we know it’s not easy!
• And to show our support of personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist status through CIEEM.
• We work closely with many other teams, including our own Planners, Archaeologists, Landscape Architects, Masterplanners and Engineers. With a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting www.tetratecheurope.com/careers
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratecheurope.com. To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter on the Careers section of our website.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tetra Tech is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, or parental leave.
We are very happy to discuss flexible working for this role, including the possibility of reduced hours, flexible start and finish times, or compressed hours. We can offer a range of solutions to help you to get the most out of your work/life balance.