This role will create the Conservancy’s ecotourism program for engaging ecotourists in immersive activities including building out our website and other marketing channels to raise the appreciation for the Sonoran Desert and natural open spaces.
- Establish an ecotourism program to provide visitors with immersive experiences
- Determine the best marketing channels to publicize these activities
- Formalize the experiences we will offer to ecotourists
- Manage sign up for ecotourism events
- Create steward training for delivery of these activities and partner with the Program Manager to deliver this training
- Develop relationships with other local, national and international organizations to create combined experiences and marketing for visitors to the valley
- Maintain communications with ecotourists about upcoming events and participation
- Manage post event communications to share accomplishments and gather feedback from ecotourists to enhance future programming
- Create and manage key metrics to help measure the success of these events
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 2 or more years of experience in this field
- OR equivalent combination of education and experience in related/applicable areas.
- Project management experience
- Experience with marketing ecotourism via website and other forums
- Ability to plan, schedule, provide structure, set expectations, and follow-up on results
- Must have exceptional attention to detail, able to multitask, be organized, fast, efficient, skilled at prioritizing and meeting deadlines and excel in a fast-paced environment with the ability to keep a positive outlook under pressure.
- Ability to interact well with a wide variety of people, including stewards, and the public
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently; knowing when to seek assistance
- Must be able to pass a standard background check
- A valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
Preferred skills and experience
- Prior work with a large, complex volunteer organization
- Experience in the tourism industry.
Like all of our staff members, this role is expected to contribute to a culture based upon respect, teamwork and collaboration. Adaptability, creativity, and a passion for the environment and the Conservancy are a must.
Work is performed in an office setting as well as outdoors. Some local travel to meetings is required.
Instructions – How to Apply
A complete application contains the following items:
- A cover letter, not to exceed one page.
- A comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae.
Items should be saved together in one PDF (.pdf) or Word document (.doc or .docx), and saved with a file name in the following format:
LastnameEMApplication.pdf or LastnameEMApplication.doc or LastnameEMApplication.docx
Complete applications should be attached to an email message and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be accepted through any other means.
Application Submission Deadline: Open Until Filled
The McDowell Sonoran Conservancy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The McDowell Sonoran Conservancy complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.