This listing has expired.
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
ZSL is looking to recruit an EDGE Social Dimensions Specialist to oversee and be responsible for evaluation and social science data collection, delivery of CEPA (communication, education and public awareness activities) and stakeholder facilitation. The successful candidate will provide social science training, supervision and expertise for early career conservationists and future conservation leaders (EDGE Fellows and Affiliates). This technical expert will train and advise other staff and remote consultants so that they are also able to support the social components of the projects carried out by EDGE Fellows and Affiliates. This role will also lead on the development of robust monitoring and evaluation of the work carried out by the EDGE of Existence programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide expertise within the EDGE of Existence programme on social science.
- To provide supervision of EDGE Fellows (approximately 40 individuals) and EDGE Affiliates (approximately 5 individuals).
- To provide the primary support and source of expertise for EDGE Fellows, Affiliates and other EDGE staff/consultants to publish social science outputs in appropriate journals.
- Lead on and contribute to the development and delivery of social components within training programmes whether these take place in person or via remote learning.
- To provide ongoing technical advice in the selection of EDGE Fellows and Affiliates, including assessment of proposed social research, evaluation, education and public awareness components.
- Strengthen the social science and conservation education foundations of the EDGE of Existence programme, including developing new training guides/toolkits and managing the strategy for the social aspects of the programme.
- Lead the development of robust and thorough monitoring and evaluation for the EDGE of Existence programme.
- Establish, develop and maintain strong productive links with other experts in education, public engagement and evaluation within and outside of ZSL.
- Masters degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with and teaching about a variety of social science methodologies including questionnaires, interviews and focus groups, including implementation and analysis.
- Experience of providing support and guidance on monitoring and evaluation across a range of projects across the globe, including in remote locations in Asia/Africa/Latin America
- Experience in education for local communities and/or school children, including in remote locations in Asia/Africa/Latin America.
- Knowledge of logical frameworks and SMART objectives/targets.
- Experience reporting on and publishing social research.
- Strong communications skills, able to express complex information in a simple and succinct manner
- Creative approach to designing educational tools and teaching
Please find attached the full job description here.
Applicants will need to upload their CV (maximum 3 pages) and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button on ZSL’s website www.zsl.org/jobs. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system, please contact Human Resources at[email protected].
Closing date for applications: Midnight Friday 20th September 2019