This listing has expired.
The Zoological Society of Hertfordshire (ZSH) (registered charity no.1108609) currently has a vacancy for an education officer to join our animal park team at Paradise Wildlife Park.
Paradise Wildlife Park (PWP) is recognised as an interactive zoo that delivers a range of animal experiences and events. PWP believes that as community-based centres of conservation and education, we as zoos, provide unique animal experiences for guests, which have been shown to create an increase in environmental awareness and pro-conservation behaviours.
PWP is passionate about continuing to provide opportunities to engage their guests responsibly and safely, with animals as a valuable educational tool, while making animal welfare and public safety its highest priority.
Paradise Wildlife Park’s animal park staff deliver a wide range of education events across the park, including; keeper talks, shows, school talks, experiences, and workshop days such as beavers and scouts. The successful applicant will take a lead on researching, delivering and evaluating PWP’s educational packages (both formal and informal).
The applicant must be very personable and able to communicate well with visitors and staff. The successful applicant will be enthusiastic, self-motivated, and have a proven awareness of activities in zoological education.
- Full time, permanent position
- Reports to: Animal Park Managers
- Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm (includes weekend/bank holiday work and occasional evening work)
- Salary dependant on experience
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include:
- To research, provide and evaluate a comprehensive education programme across PWP
- Deliver high standards of visitor interaction in the form of; keeper talks, animal shows, encounters, tours, and education events
- To deliver and develop new curriculum-linked sessions for preschool, key stage 1-4, and FE/HE sessions to colleges and universities when requested
- To produce educational resource materials
- To deliver, develop and evaluate educational programmes for groups with special educational needs
- To assist with the promotion, development and delivery of the outreach programme
- To build partnerships and contacts with schools, colleges and other institutions on behalf of ZSH
- Represent ZSH at relevant meetings and conferences as directed by senior staff and to give public talks when necessary to external audiences at various levels promoting the educational and conservation work of the zoo
- Carrying out high standards of welfare, animal husbandry and monitoring of the animals used for education
- To build on ZSH’s sustainability commitments and grow awareness
- To assist in conservation activities such as awareness campaigns and fund raising events held at ZSH
- To work with the zoo’s marketing department, assisting in implementing and developing the zoos signage and interpretation as well as in relation to PR, ensuring a positive and educational message is portrayed
- Maintain an awareness of health and safety regulations and assist in the review of risk assessments in relation to the education activities
- Liaise with and assist the Research Officer to help meet the research aims of ZSH and maintain a network of contacts in higher education establishments
- Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
- An animal science related and/or teaching qualification
- 2 years experience in a biological education role
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Adaptable for a flexible rota
- Full UK driving licence
- Good knowledge of research methods
- Good knowledge of IT packages (preferably including ZIMS)
- Good knowledge of sustainability/environmental awareness
If you would like the opportunity to join our expanding and proactive team please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected]
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.