This listing has expired.
This role primarily involves management of all aspects of the Education team, bringing together staff across Pembrokeshire to promote excellence across a spectrum of activities. Leading the education team to develop, plan and deliver ‘out-of-classroom learning’ activities to a wide ranging audience; engaging and enthusing students and assisting FSC achieve their goal of ‘Inspiring Environmental Understanding through first-hand experience’. The post holder will be expected to lead groups of all abilities in the natural environment with the ability to provide an appropriate standard of care for our learners.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post holder to be able to carry out duties associated with effectively managing groups in outdoor learning locations, which may be remote, whilst ensuring the health and safety of the group at all times, including carrying safety sacks.
It is envisaged that during the core season (March to October) the post holder will split their time evenly between FSC Dale Fort and FSC Orielton. During the winter season (November to February) the post holder will be based at FSC Orielton.
- Contributing to the leadership of the FSC Pembrokeshire centres as a member of the Senior Management Team
- Working with other members of the Senior Management team to increase occupancy and length of season
- Working with the Senior Management Team to oversee the day-to-day operation of the learning location in the absence of the Head of Learning Location
- Carrying out line management of the education team, providing support and advice through induction, training, teaching observation & personal review
- Proactively managing the time of education team members to ensure that all work is carried out efficiently and effectively
- Evaluating the work of the education team and identifying areas for improvement as necessary; leading the QB+ process for the learning location
- Ensuring that education staff are involved in wider education initiatives e.g. advisory groups, trainee tutor scheme, new initiatives promoted by Head Office e.g. IB and relevant local initiatives
- Ensuring that the education team complies with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Code of Practice (OCoPs)
- Leading FSC Health & Safety systems for educational aspects of the learning location
- Setting a high standard of customer service – meeting and greeting visiting staff, welcome talks, etc and ensuring that these are delivered effectively
- Leading the development and actively engaged in the delivery of out-of-classroom learning experiences to a wide-ranging audience of formal and informal educational groups
- Specification-led programmes at Key-stage 4 and A/AS level in biology and geography (and related subjects)
- Key-stage 2 and 3 cross-curricular environmental programmes
- Informal leisure-learning programmes for adult and family groups
- Supporting other courses, e.g. university groups, PGCE, etc
- Ensuring that – where appropriate – programmes have relevance to the National Curriculum for England and Wales and awarding body specifications
- Incorporating opportunities for the development of key skills within ‘out-of-classroom’ activities
- Liaising with accompanying staff to ensure programmes meet their requirements
Resource & Project Development
- Co-ordinating and managing records regarding training for all staff in FSC Pembrokeshire
- Leading administration, support & maintenance of resources, lesson plans and schemes of work for the education team
- To take a lead in the organisation of the Dale Fort Marine Research Symposium
- Due to the remote nature of FSC Pembrokeshire Centres they cannot always be accessed by public transport and we therefore require the post holder to be able to drive. To drive FSC vehicles you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role.
- Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening and residential duties – this will involve staying on site on some evenings and overnight to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the senior on-call team you will also provide support to other duty staff
- Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
- Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
- Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
- Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
- Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
- Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
- Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
- Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive, and will be subject to regular review.
Date of issue: February 2018
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at:
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your complete application is 12 noon on Monday 19th March 2018
Interviews are scheduled to take place on Thursday 29th March 2018
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone and/or email.