This listing has expired.
Description: For almost two decades, Archipelagos has been offering environmental education lessons to schools and communities of the eastern Aegean islands. It is a non-profit contribution from the researchers working at Archipelagos, but also the biggest investment that can be done to ensure the development of critical thinking and environmental awareness of the younger generation. Project activities include:
- Preparing lesson plans, presentations, educational games and interactive activities, as well as other teaching aids for children of different ages and for teachers.
- Cooperating with different Archipelagos research teams to create and develop teaching material tailored to different projects
- Visiting local schools to present teaching material and implement lesson plans
Environmental education and awareness raising activities are tailored to address various target groups, in the numerous islands where Archipelagos is active. The aim of these activities is the engagement of the local communities in several aspects of marine and terrestrial conservation and sustainability, including wildlife conservation, awareness of microplastics in the environment, and protection of the natural environment.
These projects provide field-work and hands-on research opportunities for graduate and post-graduate students who have achieved a bachelor’s or master’s degree, and who are looking to gain experience outside of the classroom. The skills and expertise acquired through this internship are useful towards a professional career in education and teaching.
- At least one year of college or university studies in the fields of education, social sciences, environmental sciences and/or related fields
- Experience interacting with children in an educational context
- Comfortable working under low supervision as well as leading a project independently
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a dynamic, multi-cultural, multidisciplinary team
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- High standard of work
- Fluency in English
- Sincere desire to work towards Archipelagos’ conservation efforts
- Motivation to live in a small island community
A minimum duration of 3 months is highly recommended for all participants, although shorter placements can be tailored to the needs of groups and individuals. Placements can last as long as 12 months.
Archipelagos’ research bases and stations in the eastern Aegean Sea, on the islands of Samos, Lipsi, Ikaria, Leros, Arki, Marathi and Oinousses. Placements may also include working on board of one of our research boats.
Monthly fees of 650 euro include:
Living expenses (shared accommodation, all meals, wi-fi)
Use of equipment & research boats
Transport for working purposes
Greek language lessons
Students and recent graduates are advised to explore possible funding through their universities, by getting in touch with the Finance / International Relations / Placement/ Erasmus+ Offices at their Universities or other relevant grant providing organizations in their region.
*Travelling costs are NOT included and are covered by the participant.
Please submit CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org