This listing has expired.
Main Purpose of the Position
This role is in the EIA Campaigns Department, in the Intelligence Team. The main purpose of the position is to research, collate and enter information relevant to illegal wildlife trade into EIA’s databases, to retrieve data upon request from the Intelligence Officers and EIA Campaigners for internal and external publications, and to conduct discrete research and analysis projects.
Research & Analysis
– Conduct desk-based research to gather information on Asian big cat, elephant and pangolin trade incidents (poaching and seizure incidents, trade observations by EIA and other sources, location of tiger farms)
– Query the trade data spreadsheets upon request by the EIA Campaigners to produce graphs, charts and summary statistics for external outputs (e.g. CITES submissions, presentations)
– Conduct discrete research projects e.g. open source research associated with active areas of investigation, price analysis
Information Management & Dissemination:
– Following EIA protocols on “cleaning” data, enter trade incident information from own research and other language researchers in to relevant EIA trade incident databases.
– Produce weekly summaries of Asian big cat, elephant and pangolin trade incidents and circulate internally
– Periodically update Carto maps
– Dispatch weekly report on known wildlife criminals to Liberty Asia for submission to Thomson Reuters Worldcheck
– Maintain EIA’s intelligence library and source tracker with information generated by EIA research and investigations and from other trusted sources.
– Perform actions on incoming intelligence as per direction of Senior Intelligence Officer e.g. develop and update subject profiles, enter information in to i2 iBase.
– Maintain dissemination log (e.g. for external sharing of trade incident spreadsheets, intelligence reports)
Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation:
– Participate in the production of annual campaign strategies for EIA’s Campaigns in relation to Theory of Change.
– Participate in EIA’s Long Term Strategic Planning and Theory of Change process as required.
– Extract relevant information from EIA databases to support donor reporting, and project Monitoring & Evaluation plans.
Financial Planning and Budget Management:
– Produce budgets for all activities prior to expenditure
– Submit expenditure reports on time and in the required format
Human Resource Management:
– Manage project volunteers as directed, liaise with consultants.
– Assist the Campaign Leaders and Fundraising in the production of reports and proposals for donors.
– Participate in fundraising activities as requested.
· Educated to graduate level in a relevant field e.g. wildlife / environmental sciences, criminology, economics, statistics
· Two years’ work experience as a researcher
· Proficient in the use of Excel for data management, analysis and presentation
Experience of i2 or other intelligence analysis software
· Good communication skills, both written and verbal
· Demonstrable research skills
· Attention to detail
· Affinity with the aims of EIA
· Interest in learning and applying new software packages
· Experience of open source intelligence research online
· Basic statistical analysis