Earthwise Society is a not-for-profit environmental education organization with demonstration projects for sustainable land use in Tsawwassen and Agassiz BC. We have an exciting opportunity at our Agassiz location for a project coordinator who is interested in the interrelationships between small scale organic farming and habitat enhancement.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate implementation of Habitat Stewardship initiatives including trail development and habitat restoration.
- Recruit and engage community volunteers for on-site habitat restoration activities including removal of invasive species and planting native plants; provide training and supervision, ensure that safety protocols are followed
- Lead project teams in habitat restoration, trail building and maintenance activities
- Liaise with the community and assist with the implementation of communications plans including attending outreach events; assist with marketing activities and special events
- Develop and deliver on-site educational programs for children and adults
- In consultation with technical team advisors, assist with species monitoring for riparian and wetland restoration sites at Earthwise
- Assist with construction projects such as trail construction, fencing, building repair
- Assist with organic farming operations including field preparation and maintenance, irrigation, composting and harvesting
- Plant and maintain plantings within ecological demonstration gardens featuring native and pollinator plants
- Be responsible for safe tool and equipment use and maintenance and ensure that storage areas are tidy
- Maintain records for on-site activities; obtain and maintain receipts for all inputs and expenses
- Other duties as assigned
- Participation in a post secondary program related to environmental sciences, agriculture, habitat restoration or a similar field
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; experience with community outreach and environmental education an asset
- Be self-motivated, flexible; work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers
- Related project experience
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada
This is a full-time internship position, 35 hours per week, from Feb 1, 2022- Oct. 15, 2022. Weekend and occasional evening work will be required. The wage for this position will be $18/hr.