This listing has expired.
People and the Sea is a Filipino and French registered charity. We are a community-driven marine conservation organisation operating in Malapascua, Philippines. Our objective is to support local communities in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment and have a positive economic impact.
We have developed a variety of community and conservation programs since our creation in 2015, and we are now in an exciting phase where operations in Malapascua/Daanbantayan need to be consolidated to allow a further expansion of our work.
*Please visit our Facebook page for more information: www.facebook.com/peopleandthesea/
Summary Job Description:
The Expedition Manager assumes overall responsibility for all People and the Sea operations and activities on the island of Malapascua. It is a job for a dedicated, enthusiastic and motivated individual. The ability to manage a team of volunteers and staff and ensure the smooth running of site logistics are essential requirements. The Expedition Manager should be able to to anticipate problems before they arise, yet apply innovative and flexible solutions when needed. In addition, the Expedition Manager will be required to represent People and the Sea at formal events and meetings and promote the organisation’s interests.
- Overall organisation & supervision of volunteer, staff and activities, including the scheduling of science, community and scuba diving programmes.
- Manages on-site supplies and logistics.
- Oversees the use, maintenance and inventory of all project equipment and resources.
- Ensures the health & safety of everyone involved in the project.
- Manages, coordinates and supports all staff and interns ensuring all remain motivated and focused on the project goals.
- Should be seen as approachable in all situations, as well as confident in a leadership role.
- Conducts all PADI dive training of volunteers and staff (OW + AOW at a minimum), ensuring adherence to all standards.
- Ensures the day-to-day running of dive logistics.
- Makes certain the dive operations are run in accordance to the People and the Sea Scuba Diving Policy.
- Plans and manages the daily scheduling of volunteers’ activities.
- Encourages, motivates and supports volunteers, ensuring they receive the necessary support from the team to achieve goals.
- Promotes an atmosphere of fun, support and recognition
Administration & Reporting:
- Compiles expedition reports and equipment inventory to the head office on a regular basis.
- Reports all achievements and potential issues to the head office.
- Ensures all required paperwork/documents are completed and filled accordingly.
- Maintains volunteer database and file records for site and volunteer activities
- Represents People and the Sea’s interests at all times.
- Maintains strong relationships with all stakeholders – dive centres, people organisations, school, etc.
- Always seeks to develop new potential partnerships.
- University degree (equivalent experience will be considered).
- ‘In status’ PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor and Emergency First Response Instructor. At least 50 certifications to date.
- Leadership skills and experience, showing the initiative required to develop innovative solutions to the diverse problems that can arise.
- Management experience in supervising a conservation and research programme, working with limited financial and logistical resources in a coastal environment.
- An understanding of the importance of networking and the development of collaborative partnerships in achieving project goals.
- Good physical condition.
- Excellent oral and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Living and working experience in a developing country.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Spoken Visayan.
- Oral and written French.
- Experience in the Philippines.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]. Please state “Application: Expedition Manager” in the subject line.
Please indicate the following in your covering letter:
- Earliest possible start date
- What particularly interests you about this job opening.
- How your personal/professional experience meets the requirements detailed in this posting.
Closing date for applications: 16th March 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and the interview process may begin with short-listed candidates before the application deadline.
Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Contract duration: minimum 12 months (with a 3 month probationary period).
Start date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration and benefits:
Salary: 23,000 – 28,000 Philippine Pesos (dependent on experience)
All food provided on site (except on days off)