The Kentucky Reptile Zoo internship program offers upperclassmen college students or recent graduates the chance to receive hands-on training experience at a facility with one of the most extensive and diverse reptile collections in the world.
We host interns year-round.
Sessions are as follows:
- January – May
- May – August
- September – December holidays
Most summer interns should expect to stay as long as they can between semesters. Typically summer interns are limited by their school schedules, so spring and fall interns should expect to be flexible in their start and end dates, to allow smooth transitioning.
- Assist in the captive maintenance of the zoo’s reptile collection
- Give interpretive talks and interact with the public
- Assist with educational outreach programs
- Help maintain cleanliness and organization of the facility
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, interns have the option to complete at least one research project related to the ﬁeld of herpetology, which can be done to meet academic credit requirements in their institutions.
Interns will NOT be involved in the handling of any venomous species.
- An upperclassmen college student (junior or senior) or recently graduated student
- Students majoring in the biological or natural sciences are preferred
- A valid driver’s license
- Personal transportation is highly recommended
- Must be willing to work weekends, receiving two days off during the week instead
- An ability to communicate effectively with people
- Comfortable handling snakes and other reptiles on a daily basis
- Orientation to details
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- An interest in reptiles!
- NOTE: All Kentucky Reptile Zoo staff and interns must be vaccinated against COVID-19
- Gain experience at one of the most well-known reptile facilities in the world alongside professional herpetologists
- Housing (laundry included)
- $500 per month stipend to cover expenses.
KRZ Interns have been very successful in their careers.
ALMOST ALL OF OUR FORMER INTERNS NOW WORK IN ZOOS, LABS, AND RESEARCH FACILITIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY!
Apply for Internship
- April 1 for summer
- July 15 for fall/winter
- November 15 for winter/spring
To apply, prepare:
- Cover Letter
- References (2 minimum, 3 preferred)
Use our online form to apply:
Kentucky Reptile Zoo
200 L&E Railroad
Slade, KY 40376