This listing has expired.
Compassionate Carbon (CC) is a start-up organization launched by Eden Reforestation Projects (Eden), a mission driven organization with seventeen years of dynamic global growth and effectiveness. CC’s express purpose is to serve as an economic engine to support and expand Eden’s mission to pursue poverty alleviation through global reforestation. CC will achieve this by operating as a full-service carbon project development company for landscape scale carbon opportunities.
Compassionate Carbon provides nature-based solutions through restoration for meeting global emissions targets.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer, the Forest Carbon Lead will proactively provide essential analytical and technical input to the CC team in the development of carbon projects and furtherance of the organization’s mission. This position will prioritize solutions-oriented outcomes that aid in the development of carbon project work and its supporting systems. Expected outcomes include expert level analysis, clear source documentation, supported rationale for recommendations, and the systematic addressing of both high-level view (macro) and specific issues, tasks, and process view (micro) in the evaluation of the work to be completed. This person will confidently and professionally liaise with external partners including clients, suppliers, and carbon standards bodies. They will provide regular feedback and verify the work product of internal team members and technical consultants. Empathetic leadership, writing and communication skills will be key.
- Provide technical expertise for carbon project design and development including but not limited to, assessing potential sites for carbon projects, guiding restoration activities, species selection, ensuring compliance with restoration and carbon standards, and training of field teams
- Guide deployment planning and develop detailed carbon project planning documents for submission to carbon standards verifiers
- Work with Carbon Team members on systems that ensure the quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) of carbon project operations
- Inform QA/QC processes and systems to ensure that accurate completion of deliverables in accordance with methodological and standard requirements
- Work on the development of additional monitoring tools and their deployment for biodiversity, socioeconomic, and other forms of monitoring
- Contribute to project documentation and reporting
- Provide analysis and technical reviews of prefeasibility and feasibility studies, carbon standards, and industry best practices
- Provide technical expertise during calls with potential clients
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the latest greenhouse gas corporate accounting and reporting standards and methodologies such as the Verified Carbon Standard, Gold Standard, and others
- Perform special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates
- Deep knowledge of forest ecology, forest conservation, and management
- Thorough, demonstrable understanding of landscape restoration dynamics, including succession dynamics, biodiversity, and ecosystem services
- At least five years of experience in the development process for forest carbon projects, including through REDD+, ARR, and other modalities
- At least five years of demonstrable experience showing the ability to write clearly, generate reporting inputs, and think analytically
- Demonstrable communication skills, both internally, and externally, with an emphasis on communicating scientific concepts to non-scientific audiences
- Ability to use mapping and spatial analysis tools such as GIS programs, and land cover change analysis
- Experience leading technical teams in the development of high-quality, timely analyses and reports
- At least five years’ experience in developing training tools, methods, and deploying these training tools to field-based environments
- Graduate or postgraduate experience with research design, scientific writing, and monitoring against baselines
- Robust understanding and practice implementing various carbon standards and methodologies.
- Experience with software-based project management tools including ArcGIS Survey 123, ClickUp, Basecamp, Jira, or others
Education / Experience
- Advanced degree in forestry, ecology, restoration, environmental management, or other related fields
- Considerable experience in, and willingness to travel to difficult operating environments, including in areas that are considered off-grid, sometimes for several weeks at a time
- Multilingual skills especially in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Kiswahili, Bahasa or other
- Supervisory experience of individuals and teams
- Additional training and experience in GIS applications, mapping and document development etc. are a significant advantage
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Proven empathetic leadership ability and supervisory experience
- Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving
- Proven decision-making ability and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and delegate tasks and responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects
- Possesses clarity on global environmental work and the value of carbon projects
- Lives and leads from a clear set of personal values that are aligned with the organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional listening skills
- Capacity to learn and manage technical information
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient in Google and Microsoft workspaces and able to quickly learn digital project management software and work within a system-based project management architecture
- Requires computer usage and sitting for extended periods of time
- Position requires field work in project nations, air travel and participation in extended meetings, conferences, and training in the U.S., and at international events
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential
- Extended or irregular work hours will be required as needed, particularly during project launches and expansions
- Location Remote/Asynchronous work with global team. Preferably a US citizen.
- Department Compassionate Carbon
- Reports to COO / Executive Team (CEO, COO)
- Reports from Carbon Team
- Position Full Time
- Classification Exempt
- Salary Range $80,000 – $105,000 depending on experience and/or technical certifications
- Full medical coverage including health, dental, and vision
- Retirement stipend
- Flexible work schedule
- Year-end bonus is determined by Executive Team based on profitability and performance
Eden Reforestation Projects and its subsidiary Compassionate Carbon, LLC are equal opportunity employers committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.