This listing has expired.
NBNC Mission Statement
We are a small preserve with a big heart at a gentle bend in the North Branch of the Winooski River. For more than a decade, North Branch Nature Center has put people in touch with the sights, sounds and sensations of the wild within our capital. We seek to impart a sense of wonder and curiosity about the natural world and share dynamic educational experiences with all learners.
Forest Preschool at NBNC
Our Forest Preschool is guided by the idea that children need nature and learn with a sense of wonder and enthusiasm when they spend ample time in natural spaces. Our program is modeled around the German style Waldkindergarten. At Forest Preschool, children spend 40-100% of the school day learning and playing outside in rain, shine, or snow, except in extreme weather conditions. Our child centered, play based, nature immersion program uses the landscape to support the development of the whole child using a combination of Emergent, Reggio Inspired, and Inquiry Learning approaches. We empower children to be active in their own learning process by supporting each child’s unique sense of wonder and personal interests. At NBNC, we encourage respect and gentle caring for nature, ourselves, and one another.
We have an opening for a full time Forest Preschool (FPS) Teacher to join our education team at NBNC. The position is up to 40 hours a week for 44 weeks of the year. The start date is August 15th.
The full time Forest Preschool Teacher works collaboratively as a team member with Part Time teacher and Director facilitating child centered play and learning primarily outdoors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as a team member to support all areas of young child development and learning including the developing self, communication and expression, and learning about the world in all types of weather, throughout the seasons
- Work together with the FPS teaching team each morning to prepare for the day
- Encourage and support self-directed discovery and learning. Use each child’s natural curiosity and interest as an opportunity to teach
- Participate in weekly preparation of provocations and curriculum
- Lead focused activities
- Lead seasonal curriculum development
- Regularly observe and document student learning
- Write monthly newsletters
- Participate in weekly debriefs on students
- Participate in weekly collaborative and independent curriculum planning
- Participate in regular personal and team Reflective Practice
- Work with the teaching team to prepare for parent teacher conferences
- Follow NBNC safety protocols and collaboratively conduct seasonal site assessments
- BA in Early Childhood Education or Primary Education and hold an Early Childhood Educator License in VT
- Experience working with Emergent, Reggio, Inquiry Learning, Place-based, or similar educational pedagogies
- Background or coursework related to Forest School and Nature Preschool philosophy
- Experience with storytelling, singing, and nature inspired art in daily teaching routine
- Demonstrated experience working outdoors with young children in all VT weather types
- Ability to demonstrate safety protocols with tool use and fire making skills
- A demonstrated commitment to working as a team as well as the ability to be self motivated and work independently
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
- Documented experience in risk assessment
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR
To learn more about FPS at NBNC go to: https://northbranchnaturecenter.org/forest-preschool/
Send a letter of interest, a resume, and two references by July 21st to: [email protected]