This listing has expired.
Invitations to apply: Four Field Manager positions are available for a Hamadryas Baboon Management Program in Saudi Arabia, Human Wildlife Solutions. Two month contracts which may be extended for baboon management in Cape Town.
What is the job?
- Applications are requested for a two-month (1 July – 31 August 2019) fixed term contract (possibility of extension), for Field Managers to assist with baboon management in Saudi Arabia.
- The primary objective of the work will be to install a Virtual Fence system for hamadryas baboons in the mountains of Saudi Arabia. The aim of a Virtual Fence is to manipulate the animals psychologically by means of the “Landscape of Fear” principal, into avoiding certain peri-urban areas or farms.
- The applicant should preferably have an honours or M.Sc. degree and previous work experience with baboons. Applicants with a 3-year diploma or degree in nature conservation or natural sciences, will be considered if they have at least four years’ experience of working within the conservation field recommended.
Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Must be able to plan strategically and must show strong in-field problem solving capabilities
- A good understanding of animal behaviour / behavioural ecology is recommended
- Should be technically inclined in terms of electronic equipment and computer skills
- Must have good people skills
- Must be able to grasp new ideas, techniques and methods quickly and apply adaptive management
- Basic understanding of baboons and human-wildlife conflict
- Liaise with all the relevant authorities and stakeholders within the area
- Must be computer literate; Word, Excel and Power Point
- Must love the outdoors and be prepared to work long hours in the field
- Must be physically fit and able to hike up mountains and install equipment
- Applicants must have a valid passport
- Applicants will need to be able to deal with the public and be good at field work.
- A field manager must have strong leadership capabilities and have previous experience managing a team
- Salary is negotiable and will depend on qualifications and experience. A bonus will apply for this short term contract while working overseas (six weeks).
Please send CV’s with contactable references, and a motivational letter to Bronwyn Maree, [email protected]. If you have not received any feedback on your application within three weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
*** Please note that the Field Manager positions have been postponed, however this project may go ahead later in the year/next year. Human Wildlife Solutions is still accepting applications for similar, future vacancies in Saudi Arabia and Cape Town.