This listing has expired.
GIS and Biometrics Assistant, Permanent, full time position (37.5 hrs/pw).
Salary: £19,000 – £21,000 per annum (depending on experience).
An opportunity to join a small, friendly dynamic team undertaking ecological research, utilising your GIS and data management skills.
The GIS and Biometrics research assistant will primarily assist with management, development and analysis of long-term GWCT databases working alongside other members of the Biometrics/GIS team (Sussex Study, National Gamebag Census, Partridge Count Scheme in particular). Strong data management and GIS skills are required preferably with experience of Microsoft Access, SQL, VBA and Python alongside the use of ArcGIS and QGIS. In addition, the assistant will be expected to assist with report/paper writing and support other projects within the department as required.
Educated to BSc-level degree in a relevant subject or equivalent relevant work experience, the successful candidate would join a small friendly research team with added responsibility for GIS and Computer Science BSc placement students.
- Database development, data checking, error correction and extraction from long-term GWCT databases.
- Data entry on farmland invertebrates, birds and habitats.
- Assistance with supervision of GIS and Computer Science BSc placement students.
- Assistance with report/paper writing for Biometrics/GIS research projects.
- Miscellaneous office work.
- Maintenance of Biometrics and GIS website material.
- Provide GIS support to other GWCT departments as required.
- Attendance at external meetings if required.
- Assist with recruitment of BSc placement students within the organisation.
- This role may require occasional weekend or evening working, or overnight stays away from home.
- There may be occasional travel required for GWCT business in the UK and EU.
The post is based in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, on the edge of the New Forest National Park. The candidate would be expected to start by November 2019, if possible. Benefits include pension, private health care and 22 days annual leave that rises with length of service.
Apply by emailing a CV and cover letter with details of two referees to [email protected] Please place “GIS and Biometrics Assistant” in the subject line of any emails regarding this role.
Closing date for applications: 11 October 2019.