Reports to: Director of Science
GIS Spatial Analyst is an exciting, new position at Wild Salmon Center envisioned as a full-time, regular exempt position eligible for all WSC benefits. The position is based in WSC’s home office in Portland or in Corvallis, Oregon.
The person in this position will work with WSC’s Science Director to develop, manage, and execute applied salmon conservation research, provide technical support to WSC’s conservation initiatives, collaborate with WSC program staff and communicate science findings to policy makers, managers, and the general public.
The person in this position will help maintain and enhance WSC’s reputation and standing as the leading science-based Pacific salmon conservation organization. They will be responsible for interpretation and communication of critical salmon information and concepts in innovative ways to help WSC develop, prioritize and communicate conservation strategies. Because of the breadth of issues covered by the WSC, they will work not only with WSC’s Science Director, but also subcontractors and collaborating scientists who can bring specialized expertise to specific policy questions of importance to the organization and its partners.
Responsibilities and Qualifications Summary
The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in geographic information systems (GIS), cartography, and geospatial analysis to advance conservation initiatives. Preference will be given to candidates with an advanced degree (MS or PhD) and proficiency combining GIS with one or more of the following disciplines: geomorphology, hydrology, landscape ecology, climate change analysis, and conservation planning. They will be mission-driven, and possess excellent collaboration and communication skills. They will have experience or the capacity to develop skills to work with partners from diverse nations and cultures. We are especially interested in candidates with a strong passion for Pacific salmon conservation.
- Work with the Science Director and Program Directors to prioritize and deliver the most appropriate science and technical assistance to each given project or initiative.
- Provide technical expertise in spatial analysis and spatial conservation planning.
- Work with WSC’s Science Director and Communications Program to publish peer-reviewed research and to develop science communications that educate and motivate target audiences on key salmon conservation issues.
- Cultivate collaborative relationships with agency, academic, NGO and private-sector peers to provide guidance and access to the best available science.
- Work with WSC’s Development Program to secure funding for priority science initiatives.
- Experience with GIS, statistical modeling and the R programming language.
- Active participation in and familiarity with applied conservation science.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent written, visual, and verbal communication skills; effective, diplomatic and friendly communication style and ability to translate complex science and conservation issues into clear and understandable language to diverse audiences.
- Passion and commitment to the conservation of wild salmon and their ecosystems.
- This is a full-time exempt position. Work will involve occasional evening or weekend hours.
- The position may involve regional and international travel.
- Ability to participate in occasional field work including hiking in diverse terrain in and around flowing water.
- Ability to attend meetings and workshops outside of regular work hours as requested.
Education: Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in geography, landscape ecology, geospatial science, geomorphology, watershed science, or related field.
Compensation: Salary range will be determined commensurate with experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package including: medical and dental coverage, retirement plan match, and a flexible spending account.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter summarizing qualifications and interest in the position (2 pages maximum), and 2) curriculum vitae to email@example.com.
Position will be open until filled.
Note: Management has the exclusive right to change or alter this position description at any time without advance notice.