As part of our continued growth in the offshore renewables sector, we are looking for an individual with specialist GIS skills to assist our technical reporting and habitat mapping team.
The individual will primarily be responsible for managing and interrogating a wide variety of physical and biological datasets to produce high quality thematic mapping outputs. The outputs will inform the design of environmental sampling programmes undertaken by our field teams in intertidal, nearshore and offshore areas and will form key components of the technical deliverables provided to our clients.
We are particularly keen to hear from innovative individuals with an aptitude for developing and applying novel approaches aimed at standardising, improving and streamlining spatial data workflows. The role will also offer the opportunity for occasional nearshore and offshore field work.
The following will be essential to be considered for this post:
- Proficient in the use of ESRI GIS mapping software, preferably ArcPro;
- Experience in reviewing and interpreting remote sensing data for habitat mapping purposes;
- Strong data management skills, with demonstrated experience in metadata handling and data archiving;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications;
- A minimum of a degree in GIS or an environmental discipline; and
- A minimum of 2 years professional or post-graduate experience in consultancy or research.
Desirable skills/experience include:
- Demonstrable skills in processing and manipulating physical and environmental data in R, Python or similar;
- Proficiency in the use of ArcGIS web mapping tools;
- Post-graduate qualification(s);
- Experience in developing and implementing predictive modelling techniques;
- Demonstrable activity in the publication of peer-reviewed research; and
- Knowledge of programming and / or development of web applications.
Ocean Ecology is recognised as one of the UK’s leading providers of marine ecological survey, laboratory and consultancy services for projects in both the coastal and offshore zones. Since our inception in 2013 we have experienced significant growth recently bolstered through a merger with the Norwegian based technical consultancy Åkerblå Group and the establishment of new office locations in Oban and Plymouth. A role with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in and help shape a rapidly growing and dynamic organisation alongside a team of passionate marine scientists. We offer industry competitive salaries commensurate with experience, with associated benefits including a flexible working policy, private health insurance and options for home working.
As part of our continued growth in the UK and overseas we are looking to add to our dynamic team. We are particularly keen to hear from enthusiastic benthic taxonomists and GIS specialists across all levels of experience to join our teams in Dunstaffnage, Oban or at our main headquarters in Epney, Gloucester.
If you are interested in applying for any of the roles detailed below, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for submissions: 30th June 2021.