Location: Stockholm, Sweden – other locations considered.
Work percentage: 100%
Contract: 3 year fixed term, with possibility of renewal.
Want to make a positive difference to the future of people and our one shared home, the Earth? Working at WWF could be your opportunity of a lifetime.
We are an independent conservation organization, striving to sustain the natural world for the benefit of people and wildlife. From individuals and communities to business and government, we are part of a growing coalition calling on world leaders to set nature on the path to recovery by 2030. Together, we seek to protect and restore natural habitats, stop the mass extinction of wildlife, and make the way we produce and consume sustainable.
Forests Forward aims to engage a broader range of companies and sectors to reduce their impact and invest in nature-based solutions in priority forest landscapes that benefit nature, climate and people. It is a desire to demonstrate the full value of forests, not just for the wood they supply but for the many other services and benefits they provide.
Through Forests Forward, businesses, communities, governments, financial institutions, and civil society organisations with stakes in forests and key landscapes are coming together to act for change and a positive future.
WWF seeks an experienced and passionate individual to serve as the Global Lead for WWF’s Forests Forward programme. This is an opportunity to be part of creating and championing the next vision for leadership in sustaining and expanding our global forests. WWF is looking for an inspiring leader to drive the growth of the programme and deliver impact through credible and transformative partnerships.
The Global Lead, Forests Forward will report to a supervisor in the WWF host office and is accountable to an internal Forests Forward Shareholder Group which provides oversight and guidance to the Forests Forward programme. The Global Lead, Forests Forward will supervise several staff members, including technical experts and operational staff. The Global Lead will also engage with other WWF Network offices and Practices to drive implementation of the Forests Forward programme and represent WWF on a range of external advocacy and engagement opportunities. Forests Forward is a key strategic initiative under WWF’s Global Forest Practice and plays a central role in delivering on WWF’s ambitious 2030 Global Outcomes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership for WWF’s Forests Forward programme, and delivery of its goals and outcomes and promote strategic alignment with WWF Office and Practice Strategic Plans and relevant external agendas
- Lead the development and execution of a global strategy for Forests Forward including targets, milestones, and a revenue model to secure the financial sustainability of the programme
- Serve as internal and external senior representative and ambassador for Forests Forward, championing the programme and its benefits to key stakeholders and potential partners
- Supervise several Forests Forward technical and operational staff that support WWF global programme implementation
- Manage technical and financial aspects of the programme, including annual work planning, budgeting, monitoring, and reporting
- Provide timely reporting and updates to the WWF Forest Practice Leadership Team and to the Forests Forward Shareholder Group
- Effectively collaborate with related WWF Network Teams and provide support to and advise the Forest Practice Leader, and engage in consultations and decision-making processes related to corporate partnerships involving forest activities, to leverage Forests Forward as an approach and entry point for a diversity of partners
- Work with WWF offices, Forests Forward communities, communities, governments, and other partners to catalyse integrated efforts in key forested landscapes
- Work with communication teams to develop products to profile Forests Forward and ensure all external Forests Forward communication, information sharing, and data are robust and aligned with strategic objectives.
Required Qualifications Skills and Competencies
- An advanced degree in forestry, natural sciences, environmental management and policy, law, international relations, or related field. Proven leadership skills: strong team leader and member, with the ability to also work independently
- Ten (10) years progressively senior professional work experience in engaging with or within the private sector, together with experience in working in some of the following fields: forestry, conservation, policy, environment, sustainable development, forest deforestation-related agricultural commodity supply chains, nature-based solutions for climate mitigation
- An inspiring and credible leader with proven leadership skills; strong team leader and member with the ability to work independently
- Demonstrated experience leading and growing successful, impactful programs, with experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams, and working within complex organizations that span many countries and cultures
- An understanding of the wider forest industry structure, trade flows, technologies, challenges, and trends
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and proven experience from advocacy and influencing to develop innovative and strategic partnerships with a focus on results/impact
- Demonstrated ability to establish sustainable funding models for programme impact and longevity
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills and strong analytical, organisation and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in building relations and partnerships with various stakeholders, including the private sector, funding institutions and NGOs
- Familiarity with improving forest management approaches and the role of certification and standards
- Excellent English written and oral skills and ability to inspire others and translate complex and technical information into compelling narratives
- Passionately committed to the mission and objectives of WWF and to its success
- Adheres to WWF’s values: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration.
All applications will be managed exclusively by our retained search partner SRI Executive.
Please apply directly to https://www.sri-executive.com/offer/?id=9589
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.