Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE GRAPHICS SPECIALIST DO?
The full-time Graphic Specialist position is a key part of Mongabay’s growing visual storytelling team. This role is expected to produce data visualizations and designs that improve the quality and visual appeal of Mongabay’s journalism. The main responsibility is to produce maps, charts, and graphics depicting environmental changes utilizing data, particularly earth observation and near-real time remote sensing data. This Graphic Specialist will find, clean, analyze, visualize, and interpret data to produce visualizations for use in news articles, data-driven features, and videos. This person should have strong analytical and technical skills, a refined design sensibility, and the judgment to discern what data is important for understanding stories and appealing to readers. Extensive knowledge of data visualization principles and tools is required while experience in environmental sciences such as forestry and/or oceanography and familiarity with relevant data sources are strong positives.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Graphics production (80% of time)
- Create data visualizations including maps, charts, infographics, and illustrations;
- Design and develop reusable visual components, databases, and dashboards for frequent reporting topics;
- Work cooperatively with Mongabay editors and staff to integrate data visualizations into their stories;
- Assist other team members with data research, which includes finding and cleaning datasets and producing wireframe designs;
- Research relevant data sources to generate story ideas based on data analysis;
- Conduct interviews, phone calls and/or meetings, and perform other research as needed, to gather background for interpreting data and validating findings;
- Review and fact-check graphics prior to publication;
- Publish graphics via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress) and other relevant publishing platforms;
- Learn new graphics production technologies or programming languages, as needed;
- Monitor and share examples of high-quality data journalism practice.
Strategic planning & administration (20% of time)
- Report regularly to Mongabay’s Global Program Director on progress toward meeting reporting objectives;
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Develop Mongabay’s visual style guide for maps and graphics;
- Maintain an archive of digital files for all produced materials;
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay.com headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone and messaging platforms.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- One to three years of graphics production experience is required, particularly working on projects involving online news design and interactivity is preferred;
- A portfolio that shows a clear design sensibility, containing graphics and visualizations that demonstrate an understanding of visual storytelling;
- Expertise in a favorite tool or programming language for data management, analysis, and visualization;
- Significant experience combining, transforming, and cleaning dirty data;
- Foundational understanding of layout, typography, and UX, particularly regarding mobile-web development;
- Familiarity with design software such as Adobe Illustrator and other Creative Cloud applications;
- Familiarity with WordPress (or similar CMS) software is preferred;
- Animation, motion graphics, or video production experience a plus;
- Knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues are essential, remote sensing and landscape ecology related topics are preferred;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skill in English is required;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required; and
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s data journalism and visual storytelling efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and producing consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Demonstrates talent in data analysis and design;
- Utilizes visual style guidelines to inform their designs;
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Functions independently and produces high-quality work with tight deadlines;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.