This listing has expired.
The Harewood Estate spans some 4000 acres and lies nestled between Leeds and Harrogate, set in the sweeping Yorkshire landscape designed by Lancelot “Capability” Brown 250 years ago. The Estate has a diverse range of business interests including commercial units, residential properties, holiday cottages, arable and livestock farming, forestry, renewable energy generation, food production and hospitality. We are constantly working to protect our past while staying relevant for the future.
The Estate is about to embark on a major 10-year landscape and heritage restoration and regeneration project (probably the biggest intervention since Brown’s time), which will restore damaged and degraded historic structures, ecosystems and natural processes, create new habitats, encourage greater biodiversity and enhance natural capital functions. These works will see the restoration of historic landscape features, planting of over 17,000 trees, creation of 70 hectares of wildflower meadow and 250 hectares of wood pasture parkland and new livestock facilities and grazing regimes.
The ambitious project has been made possible via funding from a Higher Tier Countryside Stewardship scheme and the Estate is now looking to fill a number of roles needed to deliver the first two years of work. We are looking for self-motivated, inspiring, skilled and dedicated people with a passion for the environment, conservation and the outdoors, who want to play a part in initiatives that find solutions to the climate and biodiversity crises that result in improved landscapes for future generations.
- Deliver grounds maintenance and horticultural tasks across the Harewood Estate, including:
- Grass cutting using push and ride-on machinery
- Hedge cutting
- Leaf clearance
- Collection of bins
- Assisting the gardeners with horticultural tasks including:
- Planting regimes
- Operate and maintain grounds machinery with proper regard to safety regulations in accordance with health & safety procedures
- Setting up machines and preparing power tools and other equipment for safe and effective use
- Carrying out safety checks and maintenance of equipment to ensure that equipment is kept in a good working order and adheres to health and safety regulations
- Set up & de-rig of high-profile events
- Assisting the forestry team with winter tree planting
- Assisting with the repair and construction of fences around the Estate
- Assist with other areas of the grounds, forestry and farming departments as required
Skills and Experience Required
- Experience in a similar role of grounds management or large scale gardening
- Experience with grounds and gardening machinery and equipment
- Full, clean driving licence
- Experience of driving farm vehicles including trucks and quad bikes is desirable
- Friendly, helpful and considerate personality
- Self-motivated and able to manage your own time to deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience of adhering to health and safety and risk assessment requirements
- Works well with a team in order to complete large scale projects
What We Offer
- Competitive salary of £20,000 – £22,000 depending on experience
- 23 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Discounts and benefits with selected Harewood businesses and retail
- The opportunity to develop within the role via formal training and on the job learning
- There will be some weekend working so we have a TOIL system in operation or there is the opportunity for overtime where agreed in advance
- The role is offered on a 2-year fixed term contract with the possibility of extension depending on opportunities and funding at the end of this time
To apply please send a cover letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7th December. Interviews will take place in December with a view to commencing the role in early 2023.