Full time, permanent contract with an option for some working from home and some flexibility in hours.
We are Chester Zoo
We’re not just an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction that’s home to 20,000 incredible animals inside 128 acres of stunning gardens. We’re not just the UK’s most popular zoo. We’re a major wildlife charity that’s committed to the recovery of endangered species, globally. And, as the world faces an extinction crisis, we’re making a hugely significant contribution to conservation at a time when it’s needed most. We are Chester Zoo and we prevent extinction.
The Role – Head of Sustainability
We now have an exciting new role for an outstanding Head of Sustainability. Reporting to the Corporate Director, with the support of the Executive, Senior Management team and Board of Trustees, you’ll lead a programme to embed environmental sustainability throughout the organisation.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Identify, lead and drive initiatives for environmental sustainability throughout the organisation.
- Develop, manage and implement Chester Zoo’s sustainability policies, procedural guidance and associated action plans.
- Provide expertise and advice on best practice in relation to environmental sustainability, energy efficiency and the reduction of carbon emissions and waste, including advice in respect of construction and redevelopment projects.
- Develop and implement effective management protocols and reporting mechanisms to ensure that Chester Zoo complies with all relevant legislation and delivers best practice and innovation in relation to environmental sustainability.
- Work with the Learning & Development team to ensure appropriate training and engagement on sustainability issues across Chester Zoo.
- Represent Chester Zoo through involvement with external organisations and professional bodies on matters relating to sustainability.
What makes Chester Zoo a great place to work?
Well, where do we start? Here goes…
We’re a huge team of conservationists, scientists, educators, animal welfare experts, marketeers, visitor experience professionals, environmental policy influencers; the list goes on. Each and every one of us is on a mission to make Chester Zoo the best in the world, and our planet a better place.
As the UK’s biggest and best zoo, we have ambitious goals, exciting plans, and there’s always lots going on here. We’re an inclusive and diverse organisation, made up of nearly 500 permanent and 500 seasonal team members, and we know how important it is to invest in our colleagues to help boost their career development. We have ambitious goals, and we want you to be with us for the long term on our exciting journey.
Our working environment could not be more different from a typical office – where else can you see critically endangered orangutans from your office window, or stroll among rare giraffes and tigers on your lunch break?
- Permanent contract
- 40 hours per week with some flexibility in working hours
- Option for some home working (up to 1 day per week)
- A salary of £58,004.53 pa (this includes our 2022 pay award, which is effective from 1 January 2022)
- 33 days annual leave
- Access to healthcare plan
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- Staff pass so you can visit the zoo during your time off plus a number of complimentary tickets for your friends and family
Our Requirements – Head of Sustainability
Candidates are expected to have substantial relevant experience in an environmental management post, undertaking similar responsibilities. Having a relevant professional qualification is desirable.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please click Apply Now to upload your CV and a covering letter which clearly demonstrates how you meet the criteria we are looking for.
Shortlisting of applications and interviews for the role will take place while the advert is live; the advert will close once the successful candidate is found. Candidates are therefore encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.